Custom Seax

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Custom Seax

Post by Greg »

Ever since the idea for the custom arming sword I'm having made popped into my mind, I knew I was going to want to have a few other blades made to match it. While the sword and one other blade are still in the works, and I planned on doing a big reveal with the whole shebang, it's going to be MONTHS from now when that will all be ironed out and I've completed scabbards for the lot of them...and I hate waiting.

I was sent these photos from Eric a few days ago, and have spent a significant amount of time staring at them. This forum is quickly becoming the Odigan show, whether he'd like it or not. Between my Sword he refurbished, Elleth's Gladius and Eket, and now this...we might as well re-name the forum "albionsextras.budgetauthenticity.org"

Har har.

Anywho, I designed the blade itself, and gave Eric a rough idea of what I'd like to happen with the hilt. The grip is solid wenge. He went above and beyond, big-time.

Overall Length: 16.5"
Blade: 11"
Blade Width: 2.5"
Grip: 4.5"

It will be in my hands shortly, and I'll toss up a review of how it handles.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Custom Seax

Post by Elleth »

Wow! He is amazing. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

That is one sweet blade. I had to look up wenge.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Spectacular!
I must say you two make a great team! The concept is very clean and strong looking and of course, the execution is as always, superb.
It will match your kit nicely Greg, as it is just the same high quality yet simple and utilitarion nature that the extreme thought and care you two always put into your work reveals.

I salute you both! Skoal! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg

Post by Greg »

Ringulf wrote:I must say you make a great team!
People will ALWAYS work together better when they know eacch other personally.

People will always work BEST together when they've spent a night or two together under the stars.
straelbora wrote:I had to look up wenge.
Wenge is a wonderfully dense and hard wood, with a gorgeous and high-contrast grain pattern. I love it...I just hope Odigan wasn't tortured by having to work with it. I bought one large piece for all three blades in this project. He's working on part of it for the last of his part in the puzzle, and the other is soon off to Yeshua's for use on my Arming sword.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That's gorgeous! I can't wait to see the other matching pieces! Nice work, Odigan!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

That is a very distinct looking knife. Nice job on the design and execution, gentlemen !
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I love the look of your seax! So different from the usual design, but looks deadly efficient!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg

Post by Greg »

Thanks, guys. He really did a superb job.

I feel a need to tip my hat to Caedmon, whose fun bit of artwork a short while back showing a plausible evolution of blades from Broken Narsil through the years to broken-back seax was a partial inspiration for this blade, as the line across the spine is actually a fuller, as though the blade was cut out of a sword of sorts. Not claiming that as any part of a backstory for it, but design-wise, it put the weight closer to the tip and edge, where I wanted it for camp use, etc. So thanks, Jack!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Hah! I love it! I was just enjoying the interesting geometry of it, but that little piece of information gives it a really fascinating backstory! Neatly conceived, sir!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Duathen
Dúnadan

Post by Duathen »

Whoa! I love the fuller in the blade and the overall execution is gorgeous. Definitely heirloom-worthy.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Greg wrote:Thanks, guys. He really did a superb job.

I feel a need to tip my hat to Caedmon, whose fun bit of artwork a short while back showing a plausible evolution of blades from Broken Narsil through the years to broken-back seax was a partial inspiration for this blade, as the line across the spine is actually a fuller, as though the blade was cut out of a sword of sorts. Not claiming that as any part of a backstory for it, but design-wise, it put the weight closer to the tip and edge, where I wanted it for camp use, etc. So thanks, Jack!
Here, here! I too love that peice. I have personally incorporated it into what I consider "lore" under the "Expanded Middle Earth" section. That is the section that I fervently veiw to be the things that feel so authentic that they are, with out a doubt, just a part of the story that the Professor did not have time to shed light on. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg

Post by Greg »

I feel that way about Caedmon's Narsil-to-Seax chart, and Ken's entire Daffodil Underhill leavings. Particularly the mention of the Eket being a cultural part of the Dunedain, as a means for solving disputes, etc. Much like the Messer of Medieval Europe, but distinctly Tolkien.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

For me, the coustelle is a great stand-in for the eket, but I've wondered why the Professor didn't go with a more seax like weapon, considering his specialty.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg

Post by Greg »

Some project progress updates. The interior of the poplar scabbard was carved with a small hand gouge, the halves were glued, and the exterior was 100% shaped--curves, convex sides, and all--starting with an inch-thick block of poplar, with my grandfather's old hand-plane. I LOVE that tool. These photos are pre-sandpaper, so a few minor tool marks still show. The whole thing is smooth now, which only took a few minutes of 120 grit, and is now marked for risers and suspension.

I'm working on a dry-fit of the suspension this week, and then we'll be gluing on risers and, materials willing, starting on the leather wrap.