Custom Seax

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Custom Seax

Post by Manveruon »

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang that's nice. I need to try my hand at making a scabbard one of these days. My sword still needs one, badly.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Looking good, Greg! Can't wait to see the finished result!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Eothain »

I'm just now seeing this post and have to comliment how beautiful this seax is! Both in concept, as being forged from the blade of a broken sword, to the over all look of it. Very cool weapon, may it bring you many true cuts!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

The scabbard core looks gorgeous! You did an amazing job on it. It almost seems a shame to cover it in leather - a coat of oil to seal it and give it some shine would be enough. I can see why it'd need the leather for use out in the field, though.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Thanks, all.

Manveruon...I could've SWORN you had a core made by a friend recently, about the time you were having a few rust issues. Did that not pan out?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah... I mean... the scabbard core exists, but it doesn't actually fit the sword. He accidentally made the throat too narrow, and when he tried to size it to the sword, it split. I think I could probably salvage it with the proper tools, but I don't have any woodworking equipment whatsoever, so it's just been kind of sitting there. Someday I will get around to fixing it... hopefully...
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg

Post by Greg »

Well HERE is a necropost for the ages.

Thanks to the Dunedain artwork "debunking" work that Caedmon did as well as some some stunning tooling by Taurinor a few months back (thanks again!), a walnut bath and some serious procrastination (followed by last-minute necessity), I present my finally fully-wearable Seax. It rides across the small of my back, and is "do the twist"-proof.

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Greg wrote:Well HERE is a necropost for the ages.

It rides across the small of my back, and is "do the twist"-proof.

Video proof please ? :P
Greg

Post by Greg »

I'll think about it.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh that's great! The whole belt is carved? I like it!
Amazing how a bit of complexity can make everything look less costumy and more real. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Yes, Taurinor cut a single arc for every half inch of belting I sent him ON EACH SIDE, and tooled that stunning design at the center, which will hardly ever be seen. He is a trooper.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Peter Remling wrote:
Greg wrote:Well HERE is a necropost for the ages.

It rides across the small of my back, and is "do the twist"-proof.

Video proof please ? :P
Hah! you knew that was coming, but it would be cool to see. I love carrying a seax on the back of the belt horizontally as long as it isn't too long, (of course being fairly wide lets you carry a Dwarven Langseax, like me! lol) if you wear a cloak it is concealed, just have to figure out what hand to have it draw from, is it a disarm weapon, or a companion blade for off hand? Sometimes it is hard to anticipate what your greatest need will be, but I normally sling it to a right hand draw as it would not be used unless I were in dire need and at that point I want my strongest defense. Love that blade Greg and Tuarinor, nice work sir! I've got to finish up my longseax. It's is in the Caedmon style, with a carved bone handle and cast on the hilt bolsters I'm still waiting for the ornate pewter pummel (if it ever gets here!)
I have some nice poplar slats to make the sheath, I'll have to read your posts again on that and most likely still have to pick your brain a bit on that part Greg. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg

Post by Greg »

Ringulf wrote: is it a disarm weapon, or a companion blade for off hand? Sometimes it is hard to anticipate what your greatest need will be, but I normally sling it to a right hand draw as it would not be used unless I were in dire need and at that point I want my strongest defense.
I toyed with this a few years back in indecision, but I wound up sticking it to the left, figuring I can always toss it to my right for camp chores or what-have-you. If my sword's already out and I needed something else, there'd only be one way to make that happen. I'll never know if I chose effectively, but I can live with that. I haven't fully bought into the idea of using two blades at once, but I certainly can draw them together, and I feel like some semblance of tracking right-hand coverage a la i.33 would be possible with this big lump of steel, so that's a small comfort.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That does make sense: I doubt you'll ever need to chop kindling in a desperate hurry. :)

I did run across an interesting dialog recently about people using daggers vs. small shields in the offhand a while back. For those who haven't seen it already:

"What's best for what when" starts about five minutes in.

[edited for grammar]
Last edited by Elleth on Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg

Post by Greg »

It definitely isn't an intended primary use. The left hand, when not holding a Buckler, can be very effective bare, with the ability to grab things and more easily bind up the opponent's arms, etc.

Interesting video!