Custom Seax

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Custom Seax

Post by Taurinor »

Greg wrote:...and some serious procrastination (followed by last-minute necessity)...
Ha, if it weren't for the last minute, I'd never get anything done! "Last minute necessity" is my standard M.O.

I'm super excited to see this all put together! I especially like the buckle near the throat of the scabbard - it adds a nice visual balance to the metal chape.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

First of all I just want to say: WOW. That is absolutely stunning! Like Elleth said, it's amazing how these kinds of details can really elevate something from the status of "practical piece of reenactment equipment" to "plausible artifact from a real culture and time period." It really does scream Middle Earth, and it looks like something with genuine cultural weight behind it. I love it!
Secondly, I agree with Peter - we definitely need proof of how "twist-proof" it is, haha.
Thirdly, I was thinking about it while reading your post, and I agree that a left-handed draw seems like the most practical solution. Obviously it is meant to do more work as a camp and field tool than as a secondary weapon, but it CAN be used as a secondary weapon, and in a fight, when you would need it the most quickly, it would be wise to have it easily within reach of whichever hand would most likely be empty in that scenario. Having seen and handled in in person, I can see how it might be a bit unwieldy as an off-hand weapon, but I'm sure it could still be quite effective if used properly - at least as a means of parrying, or to deliver a crushing overhand blow if your opponent's weapon is bound up with your sword. Also, this placement hearkens back to Viggo's decision to wear his quiver and bow over his LEFT shoulder instead of his right, so it wouldn't impede his right arm when using his sword. Since he figured Aragorn carried the bow primarily for hunting rather than for combat, he slung it on the side that would be the most out of the way, figuring he could always shift it over if and when he needed, or just draw his arrows ahead of time (as most bow hunters generally do anyway, I believe). I can't remember where I heard or read this now, but I could swear it was discussed somewhere at some point (YOU SAW IT ON THE INTERNET, SO IT MUST BE TRUE).
Lastly, just wanted to say, I LOVE SCHOLA GLADIATORA! That guy's videos rock!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Come on baby.... :)

Also... THREAD DRIFT ALERT.
Lastly, just wanted to say, I LOVE SCHOLA GLADIATORA! That guy's videos rock!
I just ran across another REALLY informative dude on youTube - his lectures assume some basic knowledge I don't have, so I can only follow about half of it - but he's obviously got TONS of experience and is an amazing teacher!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnXjzh ... R3XVpT2XTQ

As an example:

The stuff on the difference between sharp blades vs. blunted training blades is really interesting to:

Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.