Quiver Mk. III

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Quiver Mk. III

Post by Greg »

Ahh. Understood.

The "rolled" edges on the old one aren't rolled...they're just flat pieces stitched on. From other angles, you can see this.

I do rue the straightness of the diamond...that turned out a minor annoyance. I punched all the holes through both pieces, and then at some point before stitching, it got rotated, so the holes didn't line up how they should've and it creased and tweaked things. I'm considering removing it and re-doing that piece, but I may not ever care enough to bother, now that the tube isn't open.

I liked the "gondorian" shape of the insert, but the rough "wrong" side of the leather making up the body caught on my arrow sock a lot, and soaked up watter/rotted in parts a little too readily. Necessity changes things. I've considered stitching that shape into the new one for a little pizzazz.

Thanks for the comments!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I'm mainly amused that everyone has simply glossed over this rather ominous statement:
Greg wrote:
Mirimaran wrote:Great job, Greg! What's the arrow capacity of your quiver?
Will, mass production starts right after a quick visit to Cumberland, MD. The boss just hired me for a hit on a young fellow out that way. Once his legs stop twitching, we'll see about getting an order list started.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Manveruon wrote:I'm mainly amused that everyone has simply glossed over this rather ominous statement:
Greg wrote:
Mirimaran wrote:Great job, Greg! What's the arrow capacity of your quiver?
Will, mass production starts right after a quick visit to Cumberland, MD. The boss just hired me for a hit on a young fellow out that way. Once his legs stop twitching, we'll see about getting an order list started.

It's only ominous if you live in Cumberland Md. :D
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I expected no less but I hope I would get to meet greg before...
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Greg

Post by Greg »

You will look into my eyes, and know that 'Greg is your death', moments before the convulsions stop.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Greg wrote:You will look into my eyes, and know that 'Greg is your death', moments before the convulsions stop.
Isn't there a way to make the convulsions go on for an extended time ?

:D
Greg

Post by Greg »

Well, I mean...yeah...if you're into that sort of thing.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Greg wrote:Well, I mean...yeah...if you're into that sort of thing.
We are talking Will arn't we ?

:D
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

the rough "wrong" side of the leather making up the body caught on my arrow sock a lot, and soaked up watter/rotted in parts a little too readily
Hunh. I'd missed that the first time around.

So you're saying an unlined, rough-side-in quiver stands up to the weather less well than a lined one?
Also - don't you want the leather to be a little "grabby" on the sock? Or no?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Elleth wrote:
the rough "wrong" side of the leather making up the body caught on my arrow sock a lot, and soaked up water/rotted in parts a little too readily
Hunh. I'd missed that the first time around.

So you're saying an unlined, rough-side-in quiver stands up to the weather less well than a lined one?
Also - don't you want the leather to be a little "grabby" on the sock? Or no?
This was, after some additional experience, a function of poor material choice and quality. I was using a very soft sheepskin for my arrow sock with the 2nd version, and the grabby interior made it difficult to put them back in...definitely held it in once it was there though, which was, as you said, a plus.
The exposed interior did, however, soak up water a bit readily but I wouldn't necessarily say it needs to be lined. Today, if I were to re-make the same quiver with the same materials, I'd just wax the interior and call it a day. The sock defends the arrows, but because water tends to remain on a surface, it will inevitably tend to run down into a quiver rather than dripping off. Wax as a safeguard should be plenty, and is what I'm planning to do with my next quiver.

EDIT: Instant thought came to mind: If you wax the interior, make sure the bottom seam isn't leak-proof, or you'll be collecting water all the way home!