Quiver Mk. III

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Quiver Mk. III

Post by Greg »

Remember that gigantic, awesome hide I scored around christmastime that I was bragging about excessively in a thread a few months back showing off my latest iteration of bracers?

Well, it has taken the entire time since that posting until now to complete the next project I began with that material. I literally cut out the first pieces before I posted that thread.

In short, my fingers have bled, I have broken half a dozen needles, I have procrastinated, and I have developed some lovely runs of unique saddle-stitching which I intend to use as a viable argument for an insanity plea in court someday.

My last quiver, being the second iteration of the design since I first drew up the pattern years ago, I ceased being happy with less than a week after I finished it. It didn't turn out how I wanted, and just didn't look right, overall. It's served well, but I've changed strap configurations on it a half dozen times, so there are holes all over it, and it just never suited my purposes or tastes.

It was too stiff, it faded quickly, and didn't age well. Started to look fake...too....(don't take offense) LARP-y. You know what I mean.

Anywho, it was time.

There were moments when I had four needles flying around, going through four layers simultaneously, which was headache enough without this idiot deciding he needed to cross the threads every other stitch all the way up the back...

I could've shot myself.

But I stayed the course, and finally put together what I daresay is what I planned on making two and a half years ago when I started working to replace my first one, which for the sake of the eyes of our viewers here, I will not post for fear of swift retributions. It doesn't feel fake, it isn't stiff, it feels...organic. It flows, is smooth, and will age, oil, weather, and function well and naturally, I believe. And isn't that kinda the point?

It is pourig rain outside today, so forgive the photos, which are not of the caliber I wanted to initially present. I'll take some next week when it's clear and I can find some good natural lighting.

Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: Quiver Mk. III

Post by Straelbora »

I can't imagine putting all that together. It looks great.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Sweet! I love the star - is that on your new one?

How does it attach / is it worn?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Very nice! I love watching your progress on this stuff!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg

Post by Greg »

Thanks, all!

The star remains on my old one until I find a way that I'm pleased with to age/patina stainless steel. Input appreciated.
There's a shoulder strap that I'll detail on a day when I can get a few pics of it worn outside, with better lighting.

Straelbora...I can't quite imagine it either. First person to ask me how much it'd cost to make another of these gets my new Saxe to their throat.

Manveruon...I TOLD you I was basically re-doing the whole kit this year. I wasn't kidding. *sigh*
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Outstanding craftsmanship
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

re the star - hit it with a torch until the colors come out?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Wow! That looks amazing!
Greg wrote:The star remains on my old one until I find a way that I'm pleased with to age/patina stainless steel. Input appreciated.
I've never tried it, but you can buy treatments specifically for aging stainless, like this: http://www.sculptnouveau.com/Details.cf ... category=6

I've also seen people use ferric chloride, like for etching electronics, but that seems to be kind of nasty stuff.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Great job, Greg! What's the arrow capacity of your quiver? I can't wait to see some pics in action!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
deadextra
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by deadextra »

I think that a star ornament like that is a perfect task for pewter, it's cheap, stays a bit ductile, doesn't rust, and gets a good patina.
Billy and Charlie have this one and various places will do little custom jobs.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Greg it looks great... when do you start mass producing?? :P :P :P :P :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Greg

Post by Greg »

Mirimaran wrote:Great job, Greg! What's the arrow capacity of your quiver?
Without the arrow sock, it'll stow a dozen with room to wiggle...which, as you all know, I detest horrifically.

With the sock, though I can cram in a dozen, I don't like the fletching being that tightly packed. I stick to nine at a time, which leaves me three at home that aren't getting all jacked up/exposed to the weather, which I can keep broadheads on for hunting purposes, or keep as spares to replenish.

At least, that was the plan and the practice years ago when I kept a full quiver more consistently. I keep working on so many other aspects of my kit, I now am the proud owner of three functional arrows, one of which has a nock that is just barely hanging on to life. Sometime in the near future, I hope the funds will make themselves available to fix this problem, but for the time being, I really just don't shoot daily like I used to. My skills have atrophied, I'm sure.

Will, mass production starts right after a quick visit to Cumberland, MD. The boss just hired me for a hit on a young fellow out that way. Once his legs stop twitching, we'll see about getting an order list started.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Gosh-golly-got-dang, Greg. Fantastic work!

I like some of the things about your old quiver better, but you can certainly tell where you've improved as a leather-worker. Craftsmanship on the new one is well and above your old one. It does, as you say, look less LARP-y.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Aaron wrote:I like some of the things about your old quiver better...
For academic purposes, consider me intrigued. Could you elaborate?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I like that the rolled edges are flatter (though I understand why you made the new ones with thicker rolled edges), I like that the trimming and diamond in the center seem straighter, and I really like that insert on the inside-back of the quiver.