New Ranger. New bow.

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

MasterStrong
Wanderer

New Ranger. New bow.

Post by MasterStrong »

I'd love some advice, perspective, suggestions and what ever else anyone can offer. I just bought a longbow from these folks...https://www.etsy.com/search?q=Ringing%20Rocks%20Archery.
It's a 71" hickory, with a 35-40lb. 32inch draw. I'm experienced with wood and leather working (my great-grandfather was a saddle maker) but how that translates to bows is something I'm researching. Here's my question, I need to back the bow and both linen and pigskin has been suggested. What are the pros/cons of each, as you folks have experienced?
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: New Ranger. New bow.

Post by Manveruon »

It's easier to type it on here than in text, haha. Yeah, as I was saying to you earlier, either of those will work, or other things too - canvas, other types of leather, snakeskin, sinew, etc. My reasoning for you to back the bow is mainly so that, if it does break for some reason, the backing will help hold it together so it doesn't break SPECTACULARLY. I've broken both backed and un-backed bows, and I can say from experience that if I've got to have a bow break on me, I'd rather have it backed.

I've seen a lot of people do a lot of different things in this respect, but personally I think a nice thin cow, deer, or pig leather would work really well, and probably look great. Pigskin happens to be cheapest. However, I'm not exactly sure what you would use to attach it to the bow itself. Anybody's input on the subject is greatly appreciated!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
ineffableone
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ineffableone »

What to back a bow with can be narrowed down by why you want to back your bow.

Are you backing to gain poundage? Then you will want to back with wood, sinew, fiberglass, rawhide, or other heavier duty materials.

Are you just trying to strength the bow because it has grain run off? Lighter materials can work here. Brown paper bag, linen, silk, etc can stop splinters from rising off the bow.

Lets not forget, an important detail in backing is the glue used. Making sure you have a good glue that will flex and work with the bow as it bends is important. Strong and flexible.
MasterStrong
Wanderer

Post by MasterStrong »

I certainly don't need to gain poundage. I haven't done archery in years (with the exception of a couple nights with M.) and I think it's a good place to start getting those muscles back in shape.

So I decided to go with a linen, and after researching it on several bowyer site/forums, I'm planning on using Titebond II/III. Seems to be the favored glue for a fabric backing. I'm pretty excited about this project!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Can't wait to see the results!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
ineffableone
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ineffableone »

Sounds like you got it under control, and yes Tite Bond 2 or 3 should work quite well.

I look forward to hearing how it goes, and seeing some pictures of the results. Good luck and remember to plan and take your time, advice I failed to follow a few times when doing my Penobscot bow build not too long ago resulting in having to do the build twice.
MasterStrong
Wanderer

Post by MasterStrong »

Too right! My boys are with me this week, so that's going to have to wait until they go back to there mom. I love every minute I have with them, but 'taking my time' is not an option as a single father. Haha!