Looking for ideas and or suggestions for a dagger.

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Zaskar24
Wanderer

Looking for ideas and or suggestions for a dagger.

Post by Zaskar24 »

Hopefully this works.

So I have received the following heat tempered but otherwise unfinished blade and am at a loos of what to do with it. My artistic skills are lacking and I just cannot seem to come up with anything that fits a Ranger fantasy dagger. Any ideas that people come up with for this would be great and appreciated.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/18610425@ ... ed-public/

It is single edged with the edge being the lower side in the picture.

It is a Jody Samson designed blade that I recently bought from Albion and this is how it came to me from them.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Looking for ideas and or suggestions for a dagger.

Post by Peter Remling »

Judging from the dimensions the blade appears to be about 6-7". If so, a very functional design and size. I'll see if I can find several design types and add them later tonight.
Zaskar24
Wanderer

Post by Zaskar24 »

Thank you Peter.

The blade is 9.25" with an overall length of 14.5" according to Albion's site.

I was thinking about having it done as a seax and then I thought Bowie style. Or with a fox head pommel and then could not figure out what kind of guard for it.

Being single edged would it look better with a symmetrical or asymmetrical hilt?

I have drawn and redrawn many ideas and nothing really strikes me.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Nice! That thing looks sweet! I'd almost do something Bowie-influenced, yeah, but I guess it's really up to you, based on personal preference. Are you looking to go more early period, more late period, or just plain cool-fantasy-dagger with it?
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Zaskar24
Wanderer

Post by Zaskar24 »

Thank you Manveruon. I am leaning towards a fantasy Bowie with a Celtic theme. Just cannot come up with anything that really grabs me so I thought I would ask some fellow LoTR fans for ideas.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Lemme play with some sketches, and I'll try to upload them for you to see :)
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

For a single edge I prefer asymmetrical hilt. Here are a couple of current Ebay auctions with some interesting guards and pommels.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-knife-fi ... SwLVZV1imP

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-knife-fi ... Swu4BV1ikT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-Pommel-a ... Sw5VFWQGA2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRIZZLY-Knives- ... Sw9N1VkRfu

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LYNX-Set-of-Kni ... Sw5VFWIWjf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-Finger-G ... SwU~FWEUdi

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-Knives-P ... Sw-vlVkSli

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WOLF-Set-Knives ... Sw~bFWFtny

Any of these would look nice. If you're looking for something completely original, give Ringulf a pm and see if the two of you can come up with something.
Zaskar24
Wanderer

Post by Zaskar24 »

Those are some great pieces Peter. Thank you very much. I will have to look at what else they have to offer.

Ringulf was someone that I will be getting in touch with after seeing some of his work here.
Zaskar24
Wanderer

Post by Zaskar24 »

Just an update. First off, thank you to all who gave suggestions on this blade. I ended up contacting Ernie and he came up with a design for the blade based on a Middle Earth theme. I just put the deposit down so it will be some time, 7 months, before I have pictures of the finished project. Hopefully by then I will have figured out how to post pictures!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Zaskar24 wrote:Just an update. First off, thank you to all who gave suggestions on this blade. I ended up contacting Ernie and he came up with a design for the blade based on a Middle Earth theme. I just put the deposit down so it will be some time, 7 months, before I have pictures of the finished project. Hopefully by then I will have figured out how to post pictures!
Posting pics is pretty easy here. All you have to do is hit reply, add your text then scroll down to the Choose File tab. Hitting that will bring up your computer's files (Documents, Pictures, etc) select your file then select your picture, double tap and it will show in the filename box under your text. Hit add file and you're good to go. You can check to ensure it's correct by hitting the Preview tab prior to submitting.

Looking forward to seeing what Ernie comes up with. The mans' an artist.
Zaskar24
Wanderer

Post by Zaskar24 »

Peter Remling wrote:
Zaskar24 wrote:Just an update. First off, thank you to all who gave suggestions on this blade. I ended up contacting Ernie and he came up with a design for the blade based on a Middle Earth theme. I just put the deposit down so it will be some time, 7 months, before I have pictures of the finished project. Hopefully by then I will have figured out how to post pictures!
Posting pics is pretty easy here. All you have to do is hit reply, add your text then scroll down to the Choose File tab. Hitting that will bring up your computer's files (Documents, Pictures, etc) select your file then select your picture, double tap and it will show in the filename box under your text. Hit add file and you're good to go. You can check to ensure it's correct by hitting the Preview tab prior to submitting.

Looking forward to seeing what Ernie comes up with. The mans' an artist.
Thank you for the information on how to post pictures Peter. I have a concept sketch from Ernie that I will post here.

I agree about him being an artist. He was on a very short list of people that I though could do justice in finishing a blade designed by Jody Samson.
Attachments
dagger2.jpg
dagger2.jpg (25.55 KiB) Viewed 13594 times
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Very nice !
Zaskar24
Wanderer

Post by Zaskar24 »

Peter Remling wrote:Very nice !
Thank you Peter. The design is all Ernie. I just gave him some loose idea of what I was looking to end up with and he did the rest.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I can easily picture how that's going to turn out, having spent way more time than is healthy staring at the photos on his page. If my guess is correct, he has moved on through the two projects ahead of mine, and my furniture should be on his mill as I type. *crosses fingers*

If his furthest estimate was correct, I've still got ~3 months until completion, but he also said he's catching up quickly, and he said he was starting in October, so hopefully I'll start getting some progress photos here soon to help contain my enthusiasm.

Excited to see how your project turns out! That'll be a stunning knife when all is said and done.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Zaskar24
Wanderer

Post by Zaskar24 »

I know what you mean about looking at the pictures on his site and having the bank account start to have heart problems. As well as a few other sites that I like to look at as well.

If you do not mind me asking Greg, what is Ernie working on for you? I cannot wait to see it! Especially since it will mean one more project will be out of the way for him to be able to get to mine.

Thank you for the compliment on the knife. I am really looking forward to seeing how he crafts it and to getting it into my hands when it is completed!