Testing Heavy Leather vs. Swords and Axes

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Harper
Haeropada

Testing Heavy Leather vs. Swords and Axes

Post by Harper »

While not a perfect model, the results of these tests surprised me some. Obviously, there would be blunt trauma to the bones and organs, but still...

Swords:

Axes:

Last edited by Harper on Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Testing Heavy Leather vs. Swords snd Axes

Post by Elleth »

I can't say I'm that surprised it did so well...that is one THICK piece of leather!l Cutting stuff noticeably thinner than that on a cutting table can be a workout! :)

Couple thoughts though..

1. Period leather treatments to protect it from weather will make it much more susceptible to cuts. I think it was Eledhwen who noted the oils basically lubricate the fibers in the leather, making it much easier to get a blade through them. You could leave off the oils and wax I suppose.. but then you're dealing with water - plus whatever grime the trail works in.

2. That thick a piece of leather - if you could get it at all - would I think have been in fairly high demand for other uses in a medievalish economy. As it is you see a number of things we use thick cowhide for (belts, pouches) being made in period from thinner cowhide or even goatskin. Heck, if I recall correctly even knife sheaths were often made from 2-3 layers of thinner leather than the thick cowhide we use today*. I rather suspect that at the cost in period for that piece of leather, one could afford armor of more commonly used material that would show more durability in the field.

I've no idea about the boiled leather - I've never done much of that, nor worked with armor.

But still - neat to see!

=========

* source: Museum of London book "Knives and Scabbards" - it's more like dig notes than an easy read, but the whole series is worth the time if you're interested in medieval material culture.
http://www.amazon.com/Knives-Scabbards- ... 1843833530

(though Larsdatter.com has a much better image archive these days: the MoL books are admittedly rather dated on that score at this point)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Re: Testing Heavy Leather vs. Swords snd Axes

Post by Eledhwen »

Leather is interesting. If you boil it correctly, that is, in water, not wax or oil, the leather can be damned near impenetrable.

If, however, you boil it in wax or oil, it becomes far easier to cut....the saturation of the piece with what amounts to a lubricant does this. I have spent countless hours cutting lames from leather, both waxed and natural...it was so very easy to cut the waxed stuff. When I water hardened the leather, cutting it became a major chore. There is shrinkage in boiling leather in any sort of medium, which has to be accounted for. Also, in the case of wax or oil, the leather must be absolutely dry else it will crinkle and cook when dipped into the wax or oil, as I discovered with my ladys' lamellar.

So yes, leather can be hardened nicely, but not with wax or oil. There may be some oils that do not work this way, but it isn't olive oil. I am no expert, after all. The wax part I know very well. Very well. It is fine for blunt baton fighting, but not against sharp steel. Or even sharp bronze.

FWIW

Eledhwen
Nandalad!