An Overview of Leather Armour

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Harper
Haeropada

An Overview of Leather Armour

Post by Harper »

E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Re: An Overview of Leather Armour

Post by E.MacKermak »

I have used several methods for making cuir boilli armor for SCA and it provides pretty good protection from blunt force. I have yet to try it on a test cut with a sharp sword, but I suspect it would do well. The leather I use is 11 oz (11/64 in thick) or better veg tanned. Chrome tanned and soft leathers will not harden as far as I have been able to research. Rawhide of the same thickness would be really good but it is hard to find. My best results have been soaking the leather in a solution of 10 parts water to 1 part Titebond III wood glue until the bubbles stop, then placing it in an oven at 170-180 degrees for a couple of hours, taking it out occasionally to check the shape if it is not on a form.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.