Swords Broke Quite Often

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Harper
Haeropada

Swords Broke Quite Often

Post by Harper »

Assuming that blade quality is the same, I imagine a shorter sword would break less often than a longer sword.

Also, a good argument for carrying an axe/hawk as a backup weapon. If the haft breaks, you can always carve a new one--assuming you survive, of course.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Swords Broke Quite Often

Post by E.MacKermak »

The reason they were able to make those swords longer was from advances in metallurgy. That being said, if you take a sword and repeatedly beat it on objects it will break. There are several writings detailing swords bending or breaking during battle. Some of your better made swords (in the hands of royalty) would last longer, but the common grade sword was going to break if you take it to battle long enough. He is right about period artwork as well; there are usually depictions of broken weapons. Cost of doing business.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.