Projects for September WIPs

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Projects for September WIPs

Post by Eric C »

Hi all. Yesterday I was able to get out into the forge and do some work. An Eket that REALLY needs to be ready by the Southeastern Ranger moot in September had to be reannealed and straightened. :x It kinked during heat treat and I couldn't get it out without putting it back into the heat. It's good now.

But I also started a couple of new blades. They are both forged from farrier's rasps. Explanations will follow with the pics:

First, I've wanted to do a kukuri for quite a while. I just haven't had a piece of steel that I thought was suitable for one. But yesterday I broke down and started forging it first:

And there was another rasp on the forge so I grabbed it and started a second knife:

This one is for Ruinferil, who doesn't have a longer blade for rangering. I could be persuaded to make another one, but I would probably choose 1095 for a couple of reasons.
1) I'm almost out of farrier's rasps.
2) When forging, I've found that the file side of the rasp goes concave while the rasp side goes convex. It's hard to get everything where it looks right after that.

Measurements:
Kukuri:

OAL: ~ 19"
Blade length: currently 13"
Blade width at widest point:1 3/4" just in front of the crook in the blade.
Current weight: 18 oz
Current balance point: in the crook of the blade

Ruinferil's blade:

OAL: 17 1/8"
Blade length: 11 5/8"
Blade width at widest point: 1 7/16" at ricasso
Current weight: 15 oz
Current balance point: 2" from handle

All of these stats are due to change because there is still much to do. The kukuri will go up for sale. If it is not gone before the moot, it will make the trip with me.

Oh, and I'm shooting for bronze for the fittings. Ru's fittings will be forged from some old bronze I have here and - hopefully - the kukuri's fittings will be cast.
Ru's handle material is dyed and stabilized maple burl handle scales I picked up a couple of years ago. I'm undecided on the kukuri's handle material.

So, comments, suggestions and questions are welcome.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Projects for September WIPs

Post by Ursus »

Lovely work as always! I really like the ranger knife. That profile is gorgeous and sleek.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I was going to recurve it like I usually do, but when I started forging, it started taking a downward slant at the ricasso. I decided to just watch and see how it looked when the rough forging was done. Well, as you can see, no recurve. I like this shape a lot. I think with the downward slant, it would be a decent chopper while the point makes it a good stabber. I'll test both blades out when they are done and post results.

After some coffee, I'll get back at it. I've still got a jerkin to work on too.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Hunh - very cool!

Are you going to keep the file pattern on them, or take them all the way down to smooth metal?
Will the kukri have a traditional handle pattern, or are you planning something different?

Neat!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Both of those blades are looking good. I have always liked the patterns you get when working with rasps. I also like that straight blade for Ruinferil. Once it has a handle, I expect it will be a great blade as always.

I know what you mean about getting projects done on timelines. I always seem to have a lot to do and little time to do it.

Keep up the good work.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Elleth wrote:Hunh - very cool!

Are you going to keep the file pattern on them, or take them all the way down to smooth metal?
Will the kukri have a traditional handle pattern, or are you planning something different?

Neat!
I have kept the file pattern. I'm thinking the kukuri will have a traditional looking handle pattern. But that could change.

E.MacKermak wrote:Both of those blades are looking good. I have always liked the patterns you get when working with rasps. I also like that straight blade for Ruinferil. Once it has a handle, I expect it will be a great blade as always.

I know what you mean about getting projects done on timelines. I always seem to have a lot to do and little time to do it.

Keep up the good work.
The straight blade is being tempered as I write, along with a certain eket that actually came out the right way this time. The kukuri is a little bent at the moment - and not the way it's supposed to be. :oops: Things are moving fast for Ru's blade. I'm really liking it. But the heat treat didn't go as planned. I was trying to get a hamon on it and didn't get it hot enough. After most of the clay was off of the blade, I managed to actually heat treat. Once I start polishing it down, I'll test etch to see if anything remains of the hamon.

I'll try to get some pics up soon with Ru's blade and all of its components.

Timelines are the craftsman's nemesis.
Zaskar24
Wanderer

Post by Zaskar24 »

Great job on both. I am really looking forward to seeing how the knife turns out!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Zaskar24 wrote:Great job on both. I am really looking forward to seeing how the knife turns out!
Thanks! I am planning to do extensive testing on both before I release them to anybody. I look forward to seeing how it performs
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Getting better every time! Can't wait to see these. I'd love to see some progress photos on that eket, too!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I'll get some pics tomorrow after work. Right now the eket is pretty ugly with grime from the heat treat, but maybe by photo time it will look better.

As for getting better, I don't know about that. I'm honored that you say so, but I'm on the verge of quitting to be honest. I've only had one major success in knife making in the last year and a half. My wife has suggested that I go back to the basics with short knives and that's not such a bad idea. But I have got to have either 1) a source for GOOD coal. The local source is lousy. 2) A better forge for charcoal usage, or 3) a good gas forge. I don't like using gas. I'd rather use a more traditional fuel, but if gas is all I can get my hands on, then gas it is.

But we'll see how these blades come out and go from there.

P.S. I would finish any blades that we've already agreed upon before I left the forge alone.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

I know how frustrating it can be when your projects don't come out the way you want them too. Trust me when I say you do great work and there is no reason to quit because life has thrown a few curves your way. It might be that you need to step back a bit and get your passion for the art back. I don't know of many folks who can actually make a full time living out of knifesmithing. Keep it as a hobby and put stuff out when you have something done. Some of us are our own worst critics (*hand raised). I have faith that you can come out of this with a plan that meets your needs. Keep your head up, ranger.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

E.MacKermak wrote:I know how frustrating it can be when your projects don't come out the way you want them too. Trust me when I say you do great work and there is no reason to quit because life has thrown a few curves your way. It might be that you need to step back a bit and get your passion for the art back. I don't know of many folks who can actually make a full time living out of knifesmithing. Keep it as a hobby and put stuff out when you have something done. Some of us are our own worst critics (*hand raised). I have faith that you can come out of this with a plan that meets your needs. Keep your head up, ranger.
Yeah, I think it's time to take a step back and revisit the basics. I WANT to be making bigger blades. But the skill to do it comes from the basics.

I have decided to start building a new forge more suited to charcoal. I'll start planning it out soon. It will be set up in such a way that it will have up to 4 tuyeres with the ability to use as few as one if that's all I need at the time. Not sure why - any other smiths please feel free to enlighten me here - but a charcoal forge seems to work better with a side draft and my forge is a bottom draft forge. Maybe I can do a WIP on that too. It will be rather Middle-Earthy I think.

Thanks for the encouraging words.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Talk to R.D. about this on facebook. He built a/some side-draft forge(s) a few years back specifically for charcoal, I believe. Was bragging about not having to fight with clinkers anymore, etc. Might be a great resource/source of encouragement for you there.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I'll check into it. I was actually thinking about him. I know he switched to coal because of having to make his charcoal. But he should be able to help with ideas on the forge construction.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Okay, so yesterday was a pretty good day to get some things done on a couple of blades. The kukuri is on hold at the moment since I didn't light the forge this weekend. but here are some pics from Ru's blade and the eket:

Ru's blade, prepolished along with the pieces that will become the fittings:

And the eket, also prepolished and some fittings. I'm not sure about the guard and pommel. The file work got a little out of hand on me. I'll evaluate whether or not it can be repaired or if I should scrap it and either cast some fittings or forge them from steel again. It's really all up to the buyer too. I'll see what he wants.

And that's about the time I realized these particular pics stink. They are a little out of focus. Sorry about that.

The fittings are walnut and antler with (presently) guard and pommel forged from railroad spike.

These are coming along nicely, although the bronze fittings on Ru's are giving a little trouble because of minor flaws in the tang.

Now, as for my future as a maker, I am reevaluating some things. If I post it here, I'll break the rules about discussions on religion and I would have to send myself a warning. :? (How does a mod moderate himself?)
I will post my thoughts on my Ichthean Forge page on FB, but just know that I am going all the way back to the 9 inch overall length knife to find myself as a maker again. I'm not saying I won't do longer blades. But the key for me is in the 9 inch blade.

P.S. This is a shameless plug for those of you who have not liked my FB page, look it up and give me a like over there. I'm coming close to 100 likes. I may have to do something a little special for that.