Sword project...

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Thes Nazud

Sword project...

Post by Thes Nazud »

So as I mentioned in my intro/hello thread, here is the sword I am looking to find someone to do the pommel... I've de rusted it with a soft wire Dremmel wheel a couple times, but I am looking for a more permanent fix...

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Sword project...

Post by Greg »

What's the guard made of? Can we see a pic of the blade out of the scabbard without the wood handle/grip on, to show us the tang and construction?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Greg wrote:What's the guard made of? Can we see a pic of the blade out of the scabbard without the wood handle/grip on, to show us the tang and construction?
Greg, I believe that is not in a scabbard. The brown coloration is rust, which would make the guard, aluminum by the finish ? A quick guess based on the dowel/handle being 1" in diameter puts the tang as too thin for any practical application. I am curious about the inscription on the guard though.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

D'oh. You're right. Looked like suede...didn't look hard enough.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Thes Nazud

Post by Thes Nazud »

I'll definitely get some better pics up tomorrow... Yeah I do believe the crossguard is cast aluminum. There is a partial tang the threaded rod is welded to... I figured I could get a decent leather scabbard made for it and use it at faires and such, or even as a 'practice' weapon.. Lol
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Respectfully Thes, I think you'll in the long run be much happier if you save even a couple hundred dollars and purchase an entry level but well made sword.

I know that's not what you want to hear when you have something right now, but once you pay a leatherworker to make even a simple unhistorical scabbard, you're already a significant part of the way to a much much better blade that comes with a scabbard. That advice goes double if you're planning on swinging at anything.

That said, if money is really tight I bet Greg could point you to some good scabbard making resources. :)

(Also hi! Welcome! :mrgreen: )
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Thes Nazud

Post by Thes Nazud »

Well, I'll definitely be saving for a good one, that goes without saying. I am kinda partial to this one as it was my first steel. I plan on putting a good handle and a pommel on it as well as doing the two half wood scabbard for it, wrapping it in thin leather. The guard does appear to be cast aluminum, and it says "TANTO MONTA" "MONTA TANTO" on one side and "ME MENTO MERO" & "MATER DER MER" on the other... I've added some close ups. Gonna work on wet sanding the rust off as well, no need to let this opportunity to work on my metal polishing skills go to waste...

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Hunh... interesting inscription. Some googling shows this: look familiar? :)

http://bladeseller.com/Historical/Catho ... 0Sword.htm

And eek - that tang looks precarious. :(
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Thes Nazud

Post by Thes Nazud »

Yeah that tang makes my butthole pucker with fear... Interesting find there, this could well have been plated. However when a friend found it and gave it to me it was VERY crudely spray painted silver.... *shudders*. Some people...

I do know that when I took the paint off with the wire wheel there was no gold flaking on it. I have never seen anything on the blade that would have indicated a design there. I think now it says Dei Mei, which would make sends as Me Mento Meto Mater Dei Mei translates to Rememeber me, Mother of God... If it is a replica of(and hard telling the maker) of an old Catholic Kings sword, a prayer to the Virgin Mary makes sense... It does also give me an idear for a pommel, though I still plan to have one made/make one that extends the grip a bit...
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

PLEASE do yourself a favor. Never no NEVER swing that sword. Someone could be seriously injured or killed by a flying blade while you're left holding the handle.

I do wonder if a new tang could be worked into it though. But I guess it all depends on whether it is even worth it.

Others may say the tang is fine. I would never trust it.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.