Viking sword carry question?

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Kortoso
Haeropada

Re: Viking sword carry question?

Post by Kortoso »

Greg wrote:...right?
Well, I don't imagine a sword gets dull just sitting in its scabbard. :shock:
(Although cutting through ranks of yrch like so many stalks of corn... well, that would take the edge of after a while.)
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

caedmon wrote:Although of any of the actors, I think Viggo would have be the most up for a boot camp.
Yeah...very Daniel Day-Lewis esque.
Kortoso wrote:...cutting through ranks of yrch like so many stalks of corn... well, that would take the edge of after a while.
No doubt. My point and argument has always been, though, that of all the things to hang on a belt in a sort of quick-draw context like that, my sharpening stone is not something I'd ever need, even in an oft-combative setting, "in great haste". Water bottle, utility knife, tinderbox, bandages...I could see those more appropriately on a belt like this, but I, personally, feel like a sharpening stone really ought to be stowed away a bit more unobtrusively, and leave belt space for more urgently needed bits. But hey movie magic is movie magic. Most filmgoers aren't thinking about cuts, scrapes, or hydration, so in that context, "Oh, he uses that to keep his sword sharp!" seems very real to them. As Udwin mentions in his kit writeups, "Aragorn may not have to poo in the woods, but I do!"
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

To be fair, Viggo actually DID want to portray the fellowship having to "poo in the woods" but got shot down by Jackson and Co, haha. Very Daniel Day-Lewis esque indeed! XD :lol:
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Manveruon wrote:To be fair, Viggo actually DID want to portray the fellowship having to "poo in the woods" but got shot down by Jackson and Co, haha. Very Daniel Day-Lewis esque indeed! XD :lol:

Apparently none of you saw the Extended extended version. Suffice it to say Mallorn leaves have another purpose. :P
Greg

Post by Greg »

Peter Remling wrote:
Manveruon wrote:To be fair, Viggo actually DID want to portray the fellowship having to "poo in the woods" but got shot down by Jackson and Co, haha. Very Daniel Day-Lewis esque indeed! XD :lol:
Apparently none of you saw the Extended extended version. Suffice it to say Mallorn leaves have another purpose. :P
No wonder the party tree was replaced by a Mallorn. Drunk hobbits can't find the port-a-johns, but if there's a Mallorn dropping gold towlettes right behind the beer tent, we're good.
Laothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Laothain »

I think I'll have to rewatch the extended edition. I'm gladdened that this has sparked such a spirited discussion.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I've been meaning to get my hands on those appendices for this very reason for some time...but I still don't own an extended copy of the LOTR, though I'd gladly trade my three extended edition Hobbit films for them to an unsuspecting fanboy.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Peter Remling wrote:

HAH! :lol:

Okay, pretty sure this conversation has officially jumped the shark...
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg

Post by Greg »

Laothain wrote:I've got a Viking sword with a button on the scabbard and I was wondering how best to carry it on my belt. Any thoughts?

image.jpeg
Consider this a valiant attempt at re-railing... :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Greg wrote:
Laothain wrote:I've got a Viking sword with a button on the scabbard and I was wondering how best to carry it on my belt. Any thoughts?

image.jpeg
Consider this a valiant attempt at re-railing... :mrgreen:

Many bayonet scabbards had the same thing. The military generally used a leather frog with a small punched hole near the top and a vertical slit from the hole down about 1/2 - 3/4 ". You angled the button through the hole and the slit then pushed down to seat it.

You can do the same with either a belt frog or making the same system on a baldric. Those particular swords have thin tangs and a threaded pommel. I don't recommend it for anything but costuming. Had a couple of them about 20 years ago.

The site listed below shows pics of how they are attached.

http://www.bayonetfrogs.com/
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Good info, thanks Peter!

And a valiant attempt, indeed, Greg! :lol:
Laothain

Post by Laothain »

Thanks for the help and great info. Now to start sewing once I have some house projects done.
Laothain

Post by Laothain »

I haven't gotten to making a new sword hanger yet but I did manage to give this sword a new handle and I must say that it feels so much better in the hand. Thank you for that suggestion.
Ranger sword hilt.jpg
Ranger sword hilt.jpg (114.1 KiB) Viewed 15507 times
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Laothain wrote:I know it's cheap but it's what I could afford. I may try the two straps that may work.
I think that comment was made in sympathy; my first sword is the same one, too.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál