Viking sword carry question?

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Laothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Viking sword carry question?

Post by Laothain »

I've got a Viking sword with a button on the scabbard and I was wondering how best to carry it on my belt. Any thoughts?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (110.28 KiB) Viewed 16560 times
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Viking sword carry question?

Post by Elleth »

Best as in most practical for woods-roaming, or best as in most historically accurate to what Vikings did?

(Either way I suspect you're in for some crafting. :) )
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Laothain

Post by Laothain »

im looking for more practical for woods roaming. I'm not afraid of the crafting. Thank you Elleth.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

There is a discussion of some different methods and the pros and cons of woodland carry with each here.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Le-Loup

Post by Le-Loup »

Laothain wrote:I've got a Viking sword with a button on the scabbard and I was wondering how best to carry it on my belt. Any thoughts?
These are the two methods I have used for my swords, They are fairly simple & work well for me. I hope this is of some help.
Regards, Keith.

This is the original on which I based my hunting sword frog. I wanted a slight angle on the carry rather than having the blade hang straight down.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.

Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Laothain wrote:I've got a Viking sword with a button on the scabbard and I was wondering how best to carry it on my belt. Any thoughts?
One word on that sword: "Ew". :P I owned one of these once. It's one advantage is that it is cheap.
The brass button appears to be a vestige from British sabers in India.
Most importantly, it's not practical to wear a sword this size such that it hangs vertically. Perhaps you've already discovered it, but the sword will slap against your knee at every step if it hangs vertically.
Anything that you can come up with that will help it hang more diagonally acrost your rear, will be worth trying.
I might have some photos nearby of my rig, if I can find them.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Laothain

Post by Laothain »

I know it's cheap but it's what I could afford. I may try the two straps that may work.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

You could try something like this:

That's the Marseille from Valiant Armoury - the photo is one of their product images. The two buckles attached to the scabbard allow the length of the straps to be adjusted, so the angle the blade hangs at can be changed. It also allows for removal of the sword and scabbard while leaving the belt on.

The wrapping used to secure the scabbard to the straps is very cool looking, but stitched loops would work just as well.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

We've all been there. Wringing the last bit of goodness out of what you can afford is great practice.

(FWIW, I imagine you might dress that up quite a bit by slimming down the handle and making your own scabbard.)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Here is a rig that I came up with for my sword. The belt on the right goes around my scabbard once more, and when I strap it on, it totally hangs diagonally in my back, with issues with flopping around.

Maybe you can come up with something similar.
Attachments
scab2asm.jpg
scab2asm.jpg (55.2 KiB) Viewed 16487 times
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I think everyone owns that sword, and I think it might be meant for a baldric, which is great if you want to run holding the scabbard. I'd recommend the two strap scabbard hang.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I know I've been somewhat absent around here lately, but I wanted to take a moment to chime in here, because it relates to a question Elleth asked me a while back and I never got around to answering (Sorry Elleth!). I use the two-strap method, similar to what folks have referenced above, and it works quite well. It also happens to be the same method Aragorn uses to suspend his ranger sword in the Peter Jackson films. so that endears it to me somewhat further. I will try to post a more detailed description of how I rigged mine up in the near future, per Elleth's request.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Please do! I'd be interested in seeing that.
Laothain

Post by Laothain »

I'd be interested in seeing that as well. I may rework the sword and scabbard a bit this winter depending on how life goes it's something I've pondered before.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Here's one system I'd love to try:
http://www.yeoldegaffers.com/project_scabbard.asp