Long Knife of the Dúnedain

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Long Knife of the Dúnedain

Post by robinhoodsghost »

That's a fine blade Ranger!
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I finally finished the scabbard wrapping and can actually carry this thing now! In fact, it's already been on a short inaugural jaunt! :)
merf-dunedain-longknife-scabbard-01.jpg
merf-dunedain-longknife-scabbard-01.jpg (51.04 KiB) Viewed 10961 times
I used an offcut of the walnut-tanned goathide I used for Ursus' snapsack - a nice symmetry I thought. In addition, I wrapped the grip of the knife and added a riser between the first two fingers - it was a shame to cover the lovely wood Ursus used, but I'm amazed how much of a handling difference it makes!

It hangs mostly-vertically behind my right hip, edge forward. It's a bit heavy there, but I think once my buckle revision arrives from Shapeways and I mount it to the heavier belt blank I have ready to go, that problem will be solved.
merf-dunedain-longknife-scabbard-02.jpg
merf-dunedain-longknife-scabbard-02.jpg (61.36 KiB) Viewed 10961 times
I do wish in retrospect I'd taken smaller stitches, but as thin as the leather was I wanted a good bit of meat between my stitch hole and the edge. Perhaps I overdid it, but I think the rustic look will grow on me.

This about wraps up my belt accouterments - just a belt pouch left to go. My trousers are drying from the second dip in the dyepot, my tunic's about 70% sewn - I think I'll make my fall deadline! :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Very nice.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

That really came together nicely, I definitely like the leather grip better!

That's an interesting suspension method you've got going on, care to elaborate?

Nice belt bag/need wallet setup there as well. Has that been displayed on the forum yet?
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Thank you all!

What can I say Ursus - you were right about the grip all along. :)

The suspension is tentative/experimental - I mostly just cribbed Manv's sword carriage and flipped it ninety degrees. I can't find it now, but his is a variant of the buckle system WETA used for Aragorn's ranger sword in the films.

For this knife, stylistically I wanted something more sturdy than cords, but without the stylistic baggage of an early-modern frog. It's a bit low on the center of balance, so hanging in space the pommel would want to flip down a bit - against my body though it makes no nevermind.

I considered ornamented metalwork in place of a simple leather strap, but I thought simple was better. I'm more than happy to get advice though:
merf-dunedain-longknife-scabbard-carriage.jpg
merf-dunedain-longknife-scabbard-carriage.jpg (75.57 KiB) Viewed 10941 times
The needwallet is in the Summer 2016 issue of MERS - with more details here.
A contents writeup is in the Fall issue.

If you've not checked thenewsletters out yet, they're a treat. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Looks great!
I see what you mean about the stitching--I don’t know if it’s the size of the stitches, or maybe just the contrast of the cord with the leather…does come off a bit ‘Hollywood primitive’, but wiping them down with something to darken them (dye, tallow, &c) would make it ‘pop’ less. In the years to come, of course, repeated rubbing against your side will do the same.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Turned out very nice. You were right...hangs much like a gladius. Convenient!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Very nice indeed, I love your sheath! I was thinking, perhaps some sort of resin or waxing over the stitches?

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"