Long Knife of the Dúnedain

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Long Knife of the Dúnedain

Post by Elleth »

It’s finally here!
merf-seax-longknife-dunedain-ranger-01.jpg
merf-seax-longknife-dunedain-ranger-01.jpg (53.8 KiB) Viewed 15778 times
Long Knife / Langseax of the Dúnedain

Overall Length: 20 ⅝”
Blade: 14 ⅜”
Blade Width: 2”
Blade Thickness: ¼” , mild taper
Grip: 3 ¼” (plus 2 ½” pommel)
Weight: 2 lb, 2 â…ž oz.
Point of Balance - 1.25” forward of guard
Point of Percussion: unsure, but the “prime thwacking spot” is around 8” forward of the guard

This blade has been over a year from initial conception to landing in my hands, and I couldn’t be happier! It was smithed by Ursus, who not only forged the fantastic blade, but also put up with more than a few design tweaks over the months. Thanks also to Greg, who carved a light yet sturdy scabbard core, so this gorgeous work of art has a place to live until I get the leather wrapping for the scabbard and the belt carriage worked up.

The concept:
As I mentioned in my original thread, I was looking primarily for a tool - something to clear away brush, strip poles, split kindling, lop off carcass bits for preparing meat - all the coarse work of a campsite or farmstead. But I also wanted it able to do reasonable service in a pinch as a weapon should aggressive wildlife (or nastier orc!) cross my trail, as I won't regularly be carrying a sword.

And so I wanted the functionality of a norse langseax- but without the stylistic baggage. Talking over the project with Ursus, I said that my conception was of a Dúnedain still attached to the legacy of the past, who wanted an echo of the eket sidearms of the old heroes - but who had much more pedestrian needs.

Greg’s fantastic seax was a major inspiration of course - as was WETA’s “Sword of Samwise” which had struck me as an attempt at an Arnornian eket turned sword in a hobbit’s hand, and of course the Bristol swords so loved here.
merf-seax-longknife-dunedain-ranger-02-inspirations.jpg
merf-seax-longknife-dunedain-ranger-02-inspirations.jpg (61.66 KiB) Viewed 15778 times

The reality:
This thing is a BEAST. It’s almost a full pound heavier than the coustille it replaces on my belt - this is no fast slicer. I suspect it’d be on the slow side in a knife duel, but if its mass couldn’t beat aside a goblin’s crooked sword the fault is surely my own. I haven’t the slightest doubt it will do any chore I ask of it, and it would surely do grievous harm should it land on flesh. The sword-like hilt is nice insurance for my hands, and the pommel peened in period fashion.

It is the perfect always-blade for the wild woods past the walls of Bree, and exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you gentlemen!
merf-seax-longknife-dunedain-ranger-03-details.jpg
merf-seax-longknife-dunedain-ranger-03-details.jpg (41.56 KiB) Viewed 15778 times
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Long Knife of the Dúnedain

Post by Peter Remling »

That is beautiful, Congratulations !
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Ooooooohhhhh! Lovely to see it properly unveiled! Beautiful piece, and it definitely aligns with your design considerations. When Greg sent me a teaser pic a while back, I instantly got a legit. Dunedain vibe from the grip style. Well done everyone involved in its realization!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by SierraStrider »

My god, that's gorgeous! Everything about it is so sturdy looking... based on that picture of the blank, the tang looks incredibly solid. An amazing tool!
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

That's a fine blade!

Congratulations--both to you and to Ursus.

Do you plan to carry it on a baldric or belt?
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Thank you all!
Ursus has a great talent! :)

Harper - I was originally planning on carrying it much like Greg suspends his, except from the opposite hip.
Playing with it though I think it may be a bit long for that, so tentatively I'm thinking of hanging it more vertically from my belt behind my right hip, and drawing it as a Roman would his sword. We'll see how that works out. :)
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Elleth, it was my pleasure. Glad you like the scabbard, and that it fits/works with your needs.

A bit about the blade:
Having had it in my possession for a fair bit of time while I was carving the scabbard, I can touch a bit on how she handles, etc. For starters, she's lovely. Very well put together, Ursus. A credit to your work...especially since you said this is the biggest piece you've ever made.

She handles pretty closely to how one would expect a chopping Saxe to, with one relatively minor difference. My Saxe is pretty blade-heavy, because there's hardly any pommel; it was designed for processing wood, since I also carry a sword. This one, on the other hand, has a rather large fishtail pommel, which takes a bit of weight off the blade. I'm not saying she can't chop wood...far from it. What I AM saying, is that because there's a bit of a shift in balance, I found that the blade points a bit better for thrusting, and (though heavier) might be a bit more nimble than mine. Considering the intent of it being an all-in-one piece to cover woods tasks and occasional combat, I feel that it does the purpose justice. Nicely designed, Elleth, and nicely executed, Brett.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Aboslutely gorgeous! Great job, Ursus and Greg, and Elleth, I expect great deeds from you!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

MY GOD. IT'S GORGEOUS!

That is some SERIOUSLY nice work by Ursus! Just... WOW. I am positively green with envy. If I didn't think my wife would murder me with the thing when it arrived for order YET another big blade, I'd be more than a little tempted to commission an exact copy for myself.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Elleth I'm so glad that it arrived safe and that you are pleased with the final product! Crafting this piece was a wonderful challenge and I was happy to undertake it. May it always serve you well.

Greg- well done on the core! Love how well it fits against the guard.

Production notes to come. My only internet at the moment is a kindle and I'm all thumbs(which one would think
is a good thing in this case)

Thanks for the kind words all!

Just to tease, I have some pictures to share as well as Elleth and I worked in trade for this project. I had them all taken and edited when my bumbling 8 month old great Pyrenees knocked my laptop off the table and shattered it. Combine that with work to explain my lengthy absence on the boards. Soon though!
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Greg

Post by Greg »

Good gracious...that laptop didn't know what hit it!
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Greg wrote:Good gracious...that laptop didn't know what hit it!
To his credit I may have tempted him into the wrestling match that caused it. The wife swears that we're going to break the house lol
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Husbands and dogs. Best entertainment ever. :)
Greg

Post by Greg »

Elleth's right...my wife's thoughts exactly. Most of the time.
Ursus wrote:I had them all taken and edited when my bumbling 8 month old great Pyrenees knocked my laptop off the table and shattered it.
In this instance, though, we're not just talking about a man and his dog. We're talking about a 7-foot man and a horse with paws [Small exaggeration]. I think I felt the ground shaking over here that day.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

What a beauty!
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál