Axe purchase question

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Melthrist
Dúnadan

Axe purchase question

Post by Melthrist »

I'm looking at this used axe on Gumtree and thought it might make a good addition to my kit. (So long as I've got enough pocket money :mrgreen: )
What does everyone else think? It's going for $30 but the seller said that he can reduce it to $25. The description goes "I gained the Tomahawk while filming a documentary at a Medieval Festival. It's made of steel so you may grind it to make the blade sharper. Only used once and is an excellent way to exert pent up stress"
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Axe purchase question

Post by Elleth »

It's an 18th c. form I believe, but a practical enough one, and $25 seems a fair price to me (although I'm in another country w/different currency and different options).
I think you're definitely on the right track looking for a practical tool instead of a junky fake weapon that you'll throw away in a couple years.

Do you have local versions of eBay and etsy? You could also scour those sites for old heads and perhaps haft them yourself, your parents consenting of course.
There's some vaguely historic heads there coming out of Bulgaria for not much as I recall.

edit: there's some interesting heads here as well - a bit out of your range especially with shipping, but perhaps doable for a Christmas gift. :)
http://www.gdfb.co.uk/viking-weapons-45-c.asp
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Is craigs list international?(at work, can't check)
It's hard to know for sure without knowing the quality of the steel, but it seems to be a nice no-frills hatchet. The square back lends itself to pounding stakes(and anything else!). Do you know any measurements? (nothing for scale in the picture)
With a little simple woodworking, the handle could easily be replaced with something more ergonomic, which could be decorated based on your chosen culture...a nice project for a beginner.
Before you leap headlong into a shopping spree, you might want to swing by our advice for newcomers thread and give it a read-through!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

You may want to check your local laws to make sure that you are legally allowed to purchase an axe. I know the US and the UK generally don't allow folks under 18 to purchase knives, and while I don't think there are many age restrictions on axe purchases in the US (they're considered tools, rather than weapons), I think parts of the UK do have laws about minors purchasing axes. Worth a little bit of Googling on your part, at least, I think. (It may just require you to give your money to one of your parents and have them hand it to whoever is selling the axe, but it's good to make sure everyone is following all the rules)

It's a good looking 'hawk, though! It'd be nice to know if the head is cast or forged (which the seller may not know) and how the head weighs in.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Melthrist
Dúnadan

Post by Melthrist »

Taurinor wrote:You may want to check your local laws to make sure that you are legally allowed to purchase an axe. I know the US and the UK generally don't allow folks under 18 to purchase knives, and while I don't think there are many age restrictions on axe purchases in the US (they're considered tools, rather than weapons), I think parts of the UK do have laws about minors purchasing axes. Worth a little bit of Googling on your part, at least, I think. (It may just require you to give your money to one of your parents and have them hand it to whoever is selling the axe, but it's good to make sure everyone is following all the rules)

It's a good looking 'hawk, though! It'd be nice to know if the head is cast or forged (which the seller may not know) and how the head weighs in.
If I do get it I'll write up a little something for everyone on it, and yes, here in Australia you have got to be over 18 to purchase any edged weapons/tools but I do have my parents consent on this one so they'll do the handing over of money for me. :D
Udwin wrote:Do you know any measurements? (nothing for scale in the picture)
With a little simple woodworking, the handle could easily be replaced with something more ergonomic, which could be decorated based on your chosen culture...a nice project for a beginner.
Before you leap headlong into a shopping spree, you might want to swing by our advice for newcomers thread and give it a read-through!
I do believe it's around 3/4 of a metre, and I like your idea of taking it up as a woodwork project. And after reading your beginner's guide (which was great) I have realised that I probably should start focusing on my actual persona more than the gear itself, so you'll probably see some posts along those lines from me soon.

Thanks for the help everyone, and it seems like most people agree it's not junk so I'll take that into consideration. I probably will get it because it seems like a steal unless someone else jumps in and says otherwise.
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!
Melthrist
Dúnadan

Post by Melthrist »

Elleth wrote:edit: there's some interesting heads here as well - a bit out of your range especially with shipping, but perhaps doable for a Christmas gift. :)
http://www.gdfb.co.uk/viking-weapons-45-c.asp
Bookmarked!
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

For all I can tell it looks like a good starter piece. I would advise against using it to "exert pent up stress" until you can tell if the handle is sound.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”