arrow finish?

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

arrow finish?

Post by Elleth »

Those of you who craft your own arrows: do you stain or seal the wood? If so, do you use modern materials or traditional European ones?

Anyone got a favorite recipe?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Re: arrow finish?

Post by Ursus »

For my ranging arrows I coat them with walnut dye and then treat them with linseed oil several times a year. Like most of my gear I mute any color that might draw the eye, this includes arrow shafts.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Arrow wood can be walnut dyed?! Most excellent!

Might I ask what technique you use? I assume you don't just soak the arrows in a dye-water bath.. or do you?

And raw or boiled linseed oil - or does it matter?

Thank you! :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

I wipe the shafts down with a clean cloth soaked in the dye prior to fletching.

I prefer boiled but I've also never tried raw so I can't speak as to the affects there.

Also the dye that I use on wood has been boiled down to a paint like thickness, seems to take better to wood that way. I'd like to experiment with homemade birch oil sometime as well.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

If I am coloring it, I use aniline dyes..which kind of finish it as is...a dip in good polyurethane can really do that job.

However, for my own arrows, I use linseed oil or tung oil. A quirk of mine to use natural sealants...and I don't color my own arrow shafts so it harms decoration not at all.

FWIW

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Ursus wrote:I'd like to experiment with homemade birch oil sometime as well.
Birch oil is excellent stuff for so many things, wood rejuvenation among them. At the same time as it nourishes the wood it also darkens it considerably (as well as bringing out the character). Here's a comb I finished up today, before and after birch oiling.
[Shameless plug]: I never got around to posting a for-sale listing, but if anyone's interested in some to experiment with, I have some in 1 and 1/2 oz bottles. Just let me know!
Attachments
comb_oiled.jpg
comb_oiled.jpg (199.92 KiB) Viewed 8487 times
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA