On Helmets

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

On Helmets

Post by Greg »

In the first age, nearly every helmet mentioned, be it individually or describing a military units' appearance, is "high" or "tall", and/or "crested".

The Dragon-Helm of Dor-Lomin was too large for normal men, being originally made for a Dwarf by Telchar, who also forged Narsil (not an elvish blade, not an elvish helmet!), and had a VISOR (not spectacles a la. viking helms; it gave the wearer an entirely new face). These dwarven "masks" are referenced elsewhere, and are used by other cultures, but are only made by dwarves. Unfortunately, Alan Lee's lovely artwork on the cover of The Children of Hurin is flat-out incorrect.
To wit, he wrote:The Helm of Hador was given into Thingol's hands. That helm was made of grey steel adorned with gold, and on it were graven runes of victory. A power was in it that guarded any who wore it from wound or death, for the sword that hewed it was broken, and the dart that smote it sprang aside. It was wrought by Telchar, the smith of Nogrod, whose works were renowned. It had a visor (after the manner of those that the Dwarves used in their forges for the shielding of their eyes), and the face of one that wore it struck fear into the hearts of all beholders, but was itself guarded from dart and fire. Upon its crest was set in defiance a gilded image of the head of Glaurung the dragon; for it had been made soon after he first issued from the gates Morgoth. Often Hador, and Galdor after him, had borne it in war; and the hearts of the host of Hithlum were uplifted when they saw it towering high amid the battle, and they cried: "Of more worth is the Dragon of Dor-lómin than the gold-worm of Angband!"
But in truth this helm had not been made for Men, but for Azaghâl Lord of Belegost, he who was slain by Glaurung in the Year of Lamentation. 4 It was given by Azaghâl to Maedhros, as guerdon for the saving of his life and treasure, when Azaghâl was waylaid by Orcs upon the Dwarf-road in East Beleriand. 5 Maedhros afterwards sent it as a gift to Fingon, with whom he often exchanged tokens of friendship, remembering how Fingon had driven Glaurung back to Angband. But in all Hithlum no head and shoulders were found stout enough to bear the dwarf-helm with ease, save those of Hador and his son Galdor. Fingon therefore gave it to Hador, when he received the lordship of Dor-lómin. By ill-fortune Galdor did not wear it when he defended Eithel Sirion, for the assault was sudden, and he ran barehead to the walls, and an orc-arrow pierced his eye. But Húrin did not wear the Dragon-helm with ease, and in any case he would not use it, for he said: "I would rather look on my foes with my true face." Nonetheless he accounted the helm among the greatest heirlooms of his house.
Now Thingol had in Menegroth deep armouries filled with great wealth of weapons: metal wrought like fishes' mail an shining like water in the moon; swords and axes, shields an helms, wrought by Telchar himself or by his master Gamil Zirak the old, or by elven-wrights more skilful still. For some things he had received in gift that came out of Valinor and were wrought by Fëanor in his mastery, than whom no craftsman was greater in all the days of the world. Yet Thingol handled the Helm of Hador as though his hoard were scanty, and he spoke courteous words, saying: "Proud were the head that bore this helm, which the sires of Húrin bore."
Then a thought came to him, and he summoned Túrin, an told him that Morwen had sent to her son a mighty thing, the heirloom of his fathers. "Take now the Dragonhead of the North," he said, "and when the time comes wear it well." But Túrin was yet too young to lift the helm, and he heeded it not because of the sorrow of his heart.
In the third age, helmets are less often described in much detail. The most important, to the bulk of us, is that the Grey Company wore helmets which fit beneath their hoods.

Anyone have any other references, or educated inferences to suggest what exactly a Ranger's helmet would look like? Who would make them? What's the thinking behind Nasal helms being the most likely choice (which has been brought up before here)? The reasoning behind helms shrinking in height/losing their plumes from 1A to 3A, as evidenced by their fitting under a hood? The likelihood of the presence of Dwarven masks/visors in the third age and/or along the great east road?

Discuss!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Udwin
Vendor

Re: On Helmets

Post by Udwin »

A few quick thoughts:
-The helmets of Minas Tirith (or at least those of the Citadel Guard) are also many times described as 'high' or tall--and the Crown of Gondor is "loftier" still! Makes sense, given their older pedigree.

-There's a point at the Hornburg where the defenders look out and see the Deep "was boiling and crawling with black shapes, some squat and broad, some tall and grim, with high helms and sable shields.”...but we're not sure if these are Saruman's Uruk-hai, regular orcs, orc-men, or Dunlendings.

-Gimli chooses from Theoden's armory "a cap of iron and leather that fitted well upon his round head". BUT Theoden also says right before that "found in my armoury...there are helms and coats of mail of cunning work, gifts to my fathers out of Gondor. Choose from these ere we go...!"

I think the conical-with-nasal look could be supported by Tolk's comments in Letter 211 on Pauline Baynes' Farmer Giles artwork, based on medieval manuscripts, where he says "the style seems to fit well enough".
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I think a Ranger would be better off with a round cap without the nasel. I've worn a nasel while shooting and it throws off your depth perception. With a lot of practice you may be able to ignore the nasel but I prefer a non nasel helm, either round or conical. IMO the round is more comfortable and will fit under your hood better.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Regarding "masks", I wonder if The Professor was familiar with the Sutton Hoo helmet (found ca 1939)?
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

It's possible, but I'm torn on that reference because he also refers to the mask as a visor, which rings a little different to me.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Coincidentally, this popped up on a pinterest board I follow the other day:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/486248091006197582/

Not saying the look is anything like that, but I could imagine the articulation being similar.

And I assume you've seen Mr. Mohan's take on dwarven masks?

http://turnermohan.deviantart.com/art/D ... -452578450

Peter - that's interesting! I'd never have thought that would make a difference! Fascinating the little things one learns once you actually try to *do* this stuff. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Elleth wrote:And I assume you've seen Mr. Mohan's take on dwarven masks?
http://turnermohan.deviantart.com/art/D ... -452578450
Those certainly take after Sutton Hoo and the Vendel/Valsgarde helmets!
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Gærfast
Wayfarer

Post by Gærfast »

I've fought with nasal helmets in ACL, and found my brain quickly adapted. Are folks thinking that 3rd age rangers wore more of a Norman Nadal since it would fit under a hood easier than a nasal spangenhelm?
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Kortoso wrote:Regarding "masks", I wonder if The Professor was familiar with the Sutton Hoo helmet (found ca 1939)?
The Sutton Hoo archeological dig vindicated much of Tolkien's earlier writings regarding Anglo-Saxon culture. His contemporaries said that a lot of the written material in Old English was hyperbole and Tolkien said to take it at face value, which meant that the Anglo-Saxons were much more sophisticated than they had been thought to have been. Sutton Hoo showed that Tolkien was right about the level of sophistication of their material culture.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Peter Remling wrote:I think a Ranger would be better off with a round cap without the nasel. I've worn a nasel while shooting and it throws off your depth perception. With a lot of practice you may be able to ignore the nasel but I prefer a non nasel helm, either round or conical. IMO the round is more comfortable and will fit under your hood better.
Medieval archers are often pictured wearing kettle helmets, which - I assume - would cause more trouble, since the string can't get anchored as close to the face as normal. :?: