Daggers & how to wear them

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Thomas

Daggers & how to wear them

Post by Thomas »

Hi I'm new (be kind)

I got a DSA strider dagger cheap online (ordered something else wasn't in stock so changed the order to that on a whim)

I was just curious if they should be worn a certain ear on the belt. The scabbard I mean I'm very new to it all and just want to make sure it's secure :)

Cheers for the help also I'll get my sword on here once it's done!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Daggers & how to wear them

Post by Peter Remling »

If you mean this dagger : http://www.darksword-armory.com/medieva ... gger-1800/

Then there is no set way to wear it. It's a scale down version of the Ranger sword from Peter Jackson's LOTR. In the books Strider doesn't have a large dagger so it's up to your own interpetation.

Are you planning on carrying a sword ? If so many people would position the dagger vertically for a grab from the dominate hand or canted forward for an off hand grab.

If you're not going to have a sword, I suggest you add to the dagger with a small knife and hand axe or tomahawk. A axe with a peen (flattened or hammer head on the back) is the most versatile.

Good luck and Welcome. If you can please post a pic of the dagger with sheath when you receive it.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Welcome, Thomas! Don't be afraid to experiment with it, to suit your needs.

Assuming you have been supplied a decent sheath/scabbard for it, I'd just hang it vertically as Perter suggested.

DSA suggests that it's made to attach to the sword scabbard, so maybe that's your issue? Please post a photo and we'll be glad to help!
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

It's the one Peter linked...

I know it's nothing special or very imaginative just a silly purchase to do me over until my sword is completed.

I'll probably give it to the missus eventually ha
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Thomas wrote:It's the one Peter linked...

I know it's nothing special or very imaginative just a silly purchase to do me over until my sword is completed.

I'll probably give it to the missus eventually ha
If swords and daggers are a silly purchase, I must be a regular clown. :P :D
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Aren't we all! :P

Seriously though, I think that looks like quite a handsome little off-hand weapon! I agree with the others - it's really about personal preference. There isn't really a "wrong way" to wear a dagger, at least for our purposes (unless the dagger is actively falling out of its sheath/scabbard... okay, yeah, maybe that's the "wrong way"). But yeah, just experiment and see what you like best! A small to mid-sized dagger like that can be a highly versatile piece of gear, so I think it seems like a pretty solid purchase! Can't wait to see it!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Thomas wrote:Hi I'm new (be kind)

I got a DSA strider dagger cheap online (ordered something else wasn't in stock so changed the order to that on a whim)

I was just curious if they should be worn a certain ear on the belt. The scabbard I mean I'm very new to it all and just want to make sure it's secure :)

Cheers for the help also I'll get my sword on here once it's done!
I have a hand-hammered dirk I bought in Scotland that, depending on what else I'm wearing, I either wear it at my side or across the lower part of my back, hidden by a cloak.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál