Those of you using "arrow socks" in your quivers...

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Those of you using "arrow socks" in your quivers...

Post by Elleth »

... can you replace an arrow while wearing your quiver? I'm finally getting my quiver alllllmost there, and while it's not done, it's far enough along I can start experimenting a bit. The first thing I noticed of course is that while the sock is great for muffling the arrows and keeping them from jostling each other, it's near about impossible to slide one back into the quiver after I've drawn it out.

On the other hand, my bag is made from the same wool as my cloak, and it's full enough that it provides a fair amount of padding once it's scrunched into the leather quiver. I assume you're all using linen: is replacing arrows easier for you, or is this just the nature of the beast?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Those of you using "arrow socks" in your quivers...

Post by Greg »

Tomato potato.

My current one is oilcloth, and it's fairly stiff and slick. If I put it back in the same way it came out, it's about a 50-50 whether or not it'll go back in.

Secret time: If you pull the top of the arrow sock up so it's wrinkle-free, you can (wool notwithstanding; I haven't tested it) usually put one back in and then scrunch it down.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Maybe you could "clue in" the rest of us regarding what the heck is an arrow sock? :P
Does a shoulder quiver jostle its arrows more than a hip quiver does? :mrgreen:
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Something else of note: Real Middle-Earth functionality in mind, the design is NOT meant for roving/stump shooting. A traveling/hunting Ranger will not have need of lots of arrows in succession, so being able to put them back super easily isn't a major concern. A Ranger that encounters orcs of some such will likely have need of several in succession, but the concern is not whether they can be drawn quickly. Putting back arrows stained by orc blood after removal from a corpse would be a grisly affair...used arrows in a combat context aren't desirable as "recyclables".

Now, REAL world functionality in mind, when I stump shoot/rove/target shoot at all, I take out the arrow sock and tuck it in my belt. Quiver still works without the sock, but the repetitive nature of the activity makes the lack of a weather barrier convenient.

Kortoso, an arrow sock, in this instance, is a fabric tube sheathed inside a normal back or hip quiver that contains the arrows and can be pulled up over the fletching and cinched or tied shut to protect the arrows from weather. See: Ithilien Rangers in New Line films.

As for which is more noisy...the only hip quiver that is quieter in my experience than a back quiver is none at all; tucking arrows through the belt with or without a bag will be quietest. However, narrow-profile softish back quivers can be VERY quiet and, I've found, much less prone to snagging than a suspended hip quiver if done right.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Ah - that makes sense Greg. I've certainly noticed with this design that it's VERY protective of the arrows: somewhat more than my modern(ish) back quiver, and a great deal more than a real medieval arrow bag. One could certainly spin a just-so story about these leather-and-fabric back quivers being designed especially for scouts intending to be long afield with only occasional engagements, as opposed to soldiers marching to do battle on an open field. Different needs, different tools.

I'll have to try that trick with the tucking the sock away, thank you!
Do you have any suggestions for period blunts, or do you use those modern ones on your ranger arrows as well?
Greg

Post by Greg »

Most of the time, especially out-of-season, I carry field points. Easier to explain to Game wardens than suspicious looking points of questionable origin. Even bodkin, which are essentially the same, can spark unnecessary attention.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

By the by - Greg, is your arrow sock merely sewn flat across the bottom? Or have a bottom panel stitched in? Or tied/laced like a real medieval arrow bag?
Greg

Post by Greg »

First two had a small 'pouch' that was cut to the shape of the inside of the quiver bottom made of leather for preventing poke-throughs...the current one is just waxed linen all the way down, and I haven't had problems yet. I just hemmed it flat-ish (it's still slightly pointed to accommodate the bottom profile).
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Awesome - thank you!

I'm still debating on mine: I 'd thought about doing the bottom with a drawstring similar to the top, but on reflection that may be too bulky down in the foot of the quiver: just sewing it does sound the best decision.

So much to do, so little time. :)