Mary Rose Arrow spacer (first attempt at cuir boili)

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Mary Rose Arrow spacer (first attempt at cuir boili)

Post by caedmon »

Working on this, and thought i'd share. Leather arrow spacer first on is 7.5" diameter before 'boiling'

Second one 6.5" diameter after three 5 second baths at approx. 180 degrees F.
2017-05-13 11.48.13.jpg
2017-05-13 11.48.13.jpg (86.14 KiB) Viewed 14400 times
If anyone is interested.. I'm loosely following this youtube series:

-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Mary Rose Arrow spacer (first attempt at cuir boili)

Post by Elleth »

Cool!
For your 14th c. impression? Or Ranger? Or both?

Out of curiosity, are you making or purchasing your arrows? (If the latter, I just ran across razorstone archery on eBay, and I'm *really* happy with the work he does. But gosh two dozen arrows adds up! )
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Elleth wrote:Cool!
For your 14th c. impression? Or Ranger? Or both?

Out of curiosity, are you making or purchasing your arrows? (If the latter, I just ran across razorstone archery on eBay, and I'm *really* happy with the work he does. But gosh two dozen arrows adds up! )
I'm using them for both. While I still think that the best way to go is stick a sheef of arrows in the belt while hunting/tracking, the arrow bag is useful when travelling. (And now you also have my opinion on quivers... They're nasty hyper-civilized affairs that are best dispensed with.)

I made 4 arrow spacers, and will do 3 bags in a white linen/historical fashion. I'm considering doing an oilskin or a dark bag for Rangering.

As for arrows, my 13 year old is teaching himself to smith arrowheads, and I have committed to make the arrows. (Not sure why I did that. I think a fit of insanity.)
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Three Rivers Archery has this quiver in their store:
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

caedmon wrote:I have committed to make the arrows. (Not sure why I did that. I think a fit of insanity.)
Likely.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Greg wrote:
caedmon wrote:I have committed to make the arrows. (Not sure why I did that. I think a fit of insanity.)
Likely.
Definitely.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Ha!

That's... encouraging. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Nice! I'm with you on the whole quiver thing. I made an arrow bag purely for ranger activities recently but made my spacer more ovular in section for a flater profile up against my body.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Shiny job!

These rock! I have made a lot of them. I use water hardening instead of wax for mine....wax acts like a lubricant making the leather very easy to cut with a sharp blade. Plain boiling water achieves the same effect in hardening and then can be treated with a beeswax/tallow dubbin.

I use these in both fabric carriers and leather quivers, although mostly fabric as with broadheads one rather needs to draw them point first through the narrow end. Since I hunt, that suits me better, allows for individual arrowhead sheaths, and still allows for stealthy and fairly fast draw. These discs work very well in back and waist quivers if your heads are 'classic' medieval, whistlers, and similar low profile points. Add some crumbled cork or what have you in the bottom of the quiver and the arrows will stay quiet and mostly still. That is my experience.

Medieval huntress here, so I tend to ensure my gear does dual duty. I used to carry the sheaf tucked into the belt, although broadheads will get you as well as your target and mine did. Not terribly badly, yet those things are meant to make one bleed and they a fine job of that. Ouch. So yeah, I use the bag, which also helps prevent things hanging up in the very thick undergrowth in these parts.

For what it is worth.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

How hard do you need it? The spacer in my 3rivers arrow bag is just leather, heavy gauge, yes, but still just unhardened leather.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.