Cleaning up a budget bow..

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Cleaning up a budget bow..

Post by Elleth »

A couple years back I purchased a hickory kind-sorta-English longbow to see what the fuss was about. It was plain hickory, and frankly about 10-15 pounds too heavy for me, since I wanted some inkling of what the super-heavy ones were like for the yeomen who'd trained with the real things once upon a time.

It started life bone white, with wickedly pointed horn tips and a goofy padded handle, like this one by the same maker:
merf-longbow-as-purchased.jpg
merf-longbow-as-purchased.jpg (25.89 KiB) Viewed 5274 times
Partly because of that weight, I haven't been shooting it much - but now that my quiver's almost done I wanted a more period-correct bow to play with until my commissioned one is ready.
I pulled off pretty much everything that wasn't bow or tip, cut and filed down the tip points, sanded off the varnish, gave it a light stain, and oiled it.

It's still a beast for me, but for walking-more-than-shooting I think I'll be okay until my proper one is done. :)

The arrows by the way are from razorstonearchery on eBay, and I am VERY VERY VERY happy with them! Ash shafts, horn insert, wound fletching - all for a reasonable price. Brian was even willing to flip the fletchings for me to look all Middle-earthy, AND left the horn a bit proud on the cockfeather side for indexing. I can't recommend him enough. :)
Attachments
merf-longbow-stripped-colored.jpg
merf-longbow-stripped-colored.jpg (171.05 KiB) Viewed 5274 times
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Cleaning up a budget bow..

Post by Ursus »

Nicely done! What's the full draw weight? Commissioned bow yes..... :mrgreen:
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Cleaning up a budget bow..

Post by Elleth »

Ha! I promise I wasn't trying to nag you with this thread. :)

It's nominally 60 lbs, but even (trying to do) those heaving contortions the longbow guys do, I just don't have the strength to pull it quite to full draw.
I'm comfortable with 45, a little strained at 50 but can manage it well enough - past that I just can't manage really.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.