Beorning’s spearhead

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Udwin
Vendor

Beorning’s spearhead

Post by Udwin »

Hey, I finally have something to contribute to the Weapons&Armor sub! ; )
Show-off time! As I said last time I had something to cross off the list, I always have numerous projects for my various ventures in various stages of WIP, so I’m glad to scratch this one out!--double points for being #1 on my 2017 Gear Goals. (Only one more to go!)

This was banged out in a ridiculously short amount of time in order to be ready for last month’s Ice Age Trail trek, but it needed quite a bit of grinding and cleanup before I was ready to reveal here.

NOW I can finally be a properly-armed commoner. Behold, an iron copy(ish) of a tanged spearhead from the Arreton Down hoard. (Uncovered in the 18th century, it was been dated to 1600 BCE ±100 yrs.) Much cheaper than one of Mainwaring's museum-quality copies, and in a region-appropriate material, to boot!

Don’t let the decent finished product deceive you, this thing was a complete pain for us to forge; we have taken to calling it The Impossible Shape. The original was cast bronze, which makes the central rib very simple. But forging that in iron was a real headscratcher. We wound up making it in two pieces, the actual blade from high-carbon saw blade and the central rib from soft wrought iron. Without forge-welding, I went with peened copper rivets to hold the blade tight between the two halves.

I haven’t put a real edge on the blade yet, but will probably wind up sharpening it a bit, and then making up a welted rawhide cover.

Exposed length is about 7.5”. The head is set into the mortised spear shaft about 5 inches, pinned in place with a short piece of copper wire, and then lashed in place with self-tightening deer rawhide.
Attachments
quite an improvement from the wooden dummy:
quite an improvement from the wooden dummy:
Aistan_spearMERF.jpg (169.54 KiB) Viewed 12575 times
Aistan_spear_oak.JPG
Aistan_spear_oak.JPG (141.16 KiB) Viewed 12575 times
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Beorning’s spearhead

Post by Elleth »

Oh my word... that's GORGEOUS! I love how the copper rivets set off so well against the iron. It truly is a fantastic work of art!

How does the weight feel? From that length I imagine fairly svelte still, heavy central ridge notwithstanding?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

WOW that cleanup ended spectacularly. Fantastic job.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Thanks guys! I'll be interested to see how it looks a year down the road when both metals have tarnished, despite my tallow/beeswax burnishing.
How does the weight feel? From that length I imagine fairly svelte still, heavy central ridge notwithstanding?
It feels Much better than it did a month ago...when there was maybe 3 inches inserted into the shaft--it was completely top-heavy and really weighed my arm down. Grinding the tang down to a more reasonable size/weight, and doubling the in-shaft depth made a huge difference. The balance point is just a hair higher than where my hand normally sits.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

That's really nice, Udwin.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

It is a good spear. It will serve you well in many battles.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Very nice. I really like the contrast othe copper rivets. It really fits that "common man" style. It wouldn't be difficult to imagine that that had been made by Aistan from repurposed farming tools or some such.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Wow, very nice work! The final product is quite striking! The contrast of the copper and iron makes for a great visual point of interest - something Hollywood loves to stick on everything they possibly can whether it's sensible or not, but which is often somewhat lacking in real historical weapons or everyday items. It looks just the thing for a Beorning!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains