Ranger Arrowbag

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Ranger Arrowbag

Post by Ursus »

So as some of our more regular forum members know I've steadily moved away from the concept of using a quiver for some time now. For a replacement I turned to history and the arrowbag. What I've created here is tailored to my needs as a ranger and merges the best of a quiver and an arrowbag in concept and function.

Technically this piece isn't 100% finished yet as I need to add a drawstring. The shape of it is gradually tapered green duck fabric that's been lightly treated in oilcloth solution.

The opening has a spacer made of maple. Its tacked in place with small carpet tacks and has room for eight arrows, six broadheads and two bodkins. With the two bodkins on the inside and the broadheads on the outside it is quick and easy to select which type of shaft I require. Also key is that the spacer is ovular in shape. This allows for the bag to ride close to the body and strap flat to my bedroll.

My bedroll is worn in a horseshoe and acts as my quiver strap when the bag is strapped to it. Other times I stick it either vertically in my belt or more traditionally diagonally across my lower back. This rids me of an unneeded strap across my body plus the added advantage of being able to be rolled up and stored when empty.

The bottom has an insert of boiled leather to protect against the points.
Attachments
IMG_2004.JPG
IMG_2004.JPG (163.38 KiB) Viewed 8380 times
IMG_2006.JPG
IMG_2006.JPG (166.88 KiB) Viewed 8380 times
IMG_2008.JPG
IMG_2008.JPG (157.72 KiB) Viewed 8380 times
IMG_2007.JPG
IMG_2007.JPG (160.07 KiB) Viewed 8380 times
IMG_2010.JPG
IMG_2010.JPG (160.63 KiB) Viewed 8380 times
Last edited by Ursus on Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Ranger Arrowbag

Post by Elleth »

thaaat is slick. I love it! :)

Out of curioisity, why wood rather than leather for the top spacer? More rigidity/durability?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Elleth wrote:thaaat is slick. I love it! :)

Out of curioisity, why wood rather than leather for the top spacer? More rigidity/durability?

Yeah and it doesn't "grab" at the shafts as bad as leather. It's only around 1/8 of an inch thick
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Very interesting. Unique solution...I like it! We both seem to be going steadily back in the direction of horseshoe rolls. Proof in the pudding.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I'm just much too attached to my quiver to probably ever give it up, no matter how impractical - but this is really excellent. I can certainly understand the many advantages such a setup would provide. Plus, it just *looks authentic*, y'know? Like, it has a REAL feeling to it, as opposed to a more fantasy quality. Which... I mean, that's sort of what I do like about it, and also what I don't like about it, if you follow, haha. But still, looks great!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains