3rd Age Dunedain Back Quiver - Take IV

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: 3rd Age Dunedain Back Quiver - Take IV

Post by Greg »

Aaaaaaand functional:

Dyed, stitched, waxed. Now the jury is out on the closure method. In the past, I've done a standard sewn-in drawstring, but when the fabric gathers it tends to leave a significant hole at the top. The film versions used punched holes in a leather trim that were laced, but I'm not sold. Thing is, what if it's raining and I suddenly need an arrow? How do I open it easily, if at all? I may leave it this way for now...it's long enough to be pulled up and over them without needing something to secure it.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Elwindil »

what about a cord with a toggle, like a drawstring, but basically a toggle end that you can grab and pull closed but open easily as well?
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Back when I still used a traditional quiver I would keep an older more beat up arrow outside of my internal arrow bag for just such a purpose. For what it’s worth. You could also tuck said arrow through your belt underneath your cloak when it starts to rain in order to keep the fletching dry but keep it readily accessible.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

So I think Weta did something different with Aragorn's arrow sock for the movies than with the rangers of Ithilien. With his, it looks like the sock itself is quite long, and can be folded over at the top to protect the arrows. Then, there appears to be one or two lengths of braided cord that are tied around this, somewhat loosely, to keep the whole thing secure at need. There is also a mysterious metal piece attached to these cords, and I suspect it might be a sort of friction device used to cinch them tight, but it's hard to tell.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

I'm just curious whether this kind of quiver will work with all sorts of arrowheads. Target points are easy, of course, but what of broadheads?
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Greg

Post by Greg »

That depends largely on the shape of your broadheads. Swallowtail heads, obviously, would not work well here, but then again barbed heads of any non-mechanical/expanding sort are illegal to carry during any active hunting seasons nation-wide, so that's out anyway.

Fortunately, mine looks like this:
1116172225.jpg
1116172225.jpg (149.3 KiB) Viewed 14811 times
Maker's Credit: Meuleurgy (Odigan).
Greg

Post by Greg »

Manveruon wrote:With his, it looks like the sock itself is quite long, and can be folded over at the top to protect the arrows. Then, there appears to be one or two lengths of braided cord that are tied around this, somewhat loosely, to keep the whole thing secure at need. There is also a mysterious metal piece attached to these cords, and I suspect it might be a sort of friction device used to cinch them tight, but it's hard to tell.
Photo evidence? I could search...but I think it'd be easier to just ask the guru to check his database.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Greg wrote:That depends largely on the shape of your broadheads. Swallowtail heads, obviously, would not work well here, but then again barbed heads of any non-mechanical/expanding sort are illegal to carry during any active hunting seasons nation-wide, so that's out anyway.

Fortunately, mine looks like this:
1116172225.jpg
Maker's Credit: Meuleurgy (Odigan).
Those look great! Had chance to mount any to a shaft and shoot them yet?
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Greg

Post by Greg »

I did, and it flew very well, but that arrow was old and has been retired. I'm waiting to re-mount it until my yew project is finished so I can custom-spine an arrow a bit stiff for it, since it's a bit heavy on the grain side...I think something like 190.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Cool!

I also kinda like that my off-the-shelf Chippenham heads don't look toooooo different. A little bit of cultural uniformity is nice. :)

The arrowsock-inside-the-quiver is an interesting thing - it the one piece of WETA gear that is both - as far as I know - an innovation and also actually astonishingly useful in the real world. It makes me wonder if they actually came up with it, or if some native culture in New Zealand had them back when they used bows for real.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Elleth wrote:The arrowsock-inside-the-quiver is an interesting thing - it the one piece of WETA gear that is both - as far as I know - an innovation and also actually astonishingly useful in the real world. It makes me wonder if they actually came up with it, or if some native culture in New Zealand had them back when they used bows for real.
I would LOVE to hear a story about the sound guys getting upset at all the arrow rattling on set or something...
Elleth wrote:I also kinda like that my off-the-shelf Chippenham heads don't look toooooo different. A little bit of cultural uniformity is nice. :)
Agreed. I have plans to pick up a few of those, myself.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Greg wrote:I would LOVE to hear a story about the sound guys getting upset at all the arrow rattling on set or something...
:lol:
That actuly seems possible, I used a hired TV camera once and had to take keys and loose change off people to stop the sound boom picking it up
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I would LOVE to hear a story about the sound guys getting upset at all the arrow rattling on set or something...
One of the c.2001 art books has early concept drawings of Legolas' quivers, and at least one has an arrow sock. So it was an idea they were playing with well before they got to production.

Now that said, I could easily imagine that story played on the set of Xena or something, someone remembered, someone transferred to WETA in the '90s, etc etc.

I would SO LOVE if one of their original crew dropped in one day to share stories. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, now that you guys bring it up, I'm terribly curious myself. The idea is kind of brilliant, and I'd absolutely love to know what its origin on the films was.

Also, Greg, sorry I hadn't been on the forums in a few days when you asked about my previous post. Did you end up finding anything useful in my Aragorn movie pic compilation?
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg

Post by Greg »

Not really. Which is good, because I'd rather not draw too much inspiration from Viggo's outfit. Just feels...wrong.

...but I *DID* think of a solution, which has been staring me in the face.

So there's that.