Elenglin - Sword of Westernesse

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Elenglin - Sword of Westernesse

Post by Elleth »

May I introduce Elenglin - “Star-glint” in the Sindarin tongue:
merf-elenglin-dunedain-sword-01-trek.jpg
merf-elenglin-dunedain-sword-01-trek.jpg (40.41 KiB) Viewed 19480 times
This is another work that’s been loooong in coming: a year ago Odigan described its origin as an off-the-shelf sword in his Edge of the Wild article “Rehilting a Blade” -

Edge of the Wild: Volume 1 Issue 4: Winter 2017

The pommel is of course the same one as on Greg and Manv’s Bristol swords, mounted by Odigan on a longer Hanwei “Single Hand Sword” blade. The guard was the one the sword came with, reforged by Odigan in a vaguely “Borderwatch” shape that I think complements the pommel quite nicely.

Between the resulting lines and the inscription, Odigan crafted I think the most “Middle-earthy” sword I’ve ever seen. It’s exactly what I’d always imagined some hero of Westernesse carrying through the wild!

On the Inscription:

A long part of the delay since beginning this project was my own on-again / off-again work on the Sindarin for the inscription.
merf-elenglin-dunedain-sword-02-inscription.jpg
merf-elenglin-dunedain-sword-02-inscription.jpg (56.14 KiB) Viewed 19480 times
Some of the translation is hypothetical, drawing from Ryszard Derdzinski‘s translation of the Ave Maria, but most is fairly textbook. The text is written in the Angerthas Daeron, as Aragorn notes at Weathertop that the Rangers do still use runes.

Translated, the inscription reads:

I am Elenglin - Keep faith, I will watch with you.

Odigan has a lovely closeup of the characters on his instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWle91NFf2n/

The themes of the inscription were based on those of the Lord of the Rings narrative itself - faith, hope, and the long duty of those who stood guard. It certainly helped that those themes were reflected in the Professor’s linguistic work enough that a reasonably confident translation was possible.

On the scabbard:
The scabbard core came from Greg, in trade for a bit of sewing last year. Doing the scabbard leatherwork was a nightmare I fear, and delayed the work for at least a month as I struggled getting a vinegar black to work with the vegtan goatskin I’d gotten. No matter what I tried - even soaking in tannins or priming with iron gall ink - I never got better than a deep brown.

Eventually I took Elwindil’s advice and called Springfield Leather. They sent a long thin piece of their Hermann Oak calfskin, and it took the black color immediately. Great stuff to work with!

The belt fittings, stamp, and scabbard chape all come from Shapeways. Their steel needs a fair amount of polish, but it does eventually come out fairly good.
merf-elenglin-dunedain-sword-03-scabbard-swordbelt.jpg
merf-elenglin-dunedain-sword-03-scabbard-swordbelt.jpg (26.66 KiB) Viewed 19480 times
Following historical examples, the scabbard has its own dedicated belt rather than buckling on to my regular waistbelt. I used a fairly simple offset suspension, choosing to keep the angle of hang fairly vertical, based off Greg’s “the sword shall come from under the cloak” comment. It is indeed quite discreet under a cloak.

After completing the scabbard I came across Tod’s discussion of scabbards, where he comments that the wider spacing on a medieval scabbard is designed to give more stability - mine is not so secure as his, though I’m happy enough with it and won’t be remaking it any time soon.
merf-elenglin-dunedain-sword-04-carriage.jpg
merf-elenglin-dunedain-sword-04-carriage.jpg (41.46 KiB) Viewed 19480 times

On handling the sword:
The sword itself feels lovely: when I first received it last year from Odigan I found it rather heavy and clunky - that turned out to be only my own untrained forearms. A few practice cuts through the air every day or so and now it feels light and agile as a feather.

I certainly don't deserve this sword, but for the moment I'm its keeper. Thank you Odigan.

Lacho calad! Drego morn!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Elenglin - Sword of Westernesse

Post by Greg »

Came together wonderfully. Good job bringing it all together!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Wow, that's amazing! The inscription is especially lovely, both in execution and sentiment.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Absolutely beautiful ! I can't get over the depth of the fuller. Very nicely done. Can we get some specs: POB, weight, over all length, blade length and COP ?
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I agree with everyone else, that's amazing!
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Oooo! Love the name! If you, Greg, Manveroun and I ever end up at a moot together I’m probably going to beg everyone’s forgiveness for wanting to handle all of these bladed beauties.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Elwindil »

I'm glad that my suggestion of Springfield Leather was able to help, Elleth. You've got yourself a lovely piece there.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Ursus wrote:Oooo! Love the name! If you, Greg, Manveroun and I ever end up at a moot together I’m probably going to beg everyone’s forgiveness for wanting to handle all of these bladed beauties.
Put Odigan on that list. Every time his trunk opens my jaw hits the floor.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

-

Wield it with honor!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Thank you all!

It’s been a long journey! There’s no orc to slay in these parts, but I hope it’ll be an heirloom someday.
:)

Peter - since you asked for information, I tried out that sword dynamics calculator I’ve seen folks talking about. I can’t promise I captured it perfectly, but I think this is about right:
merf-elenglin-dunedain-sword-dynamics.jpg
merf-elenglin-dunedain-sword-dynamics.jpg (16.14 KiB) Viewed 19397 times
More conventionally:

Overall length: 38 ⅜
Blade length 31 ½

Weight: 2lb, 5 oz
Point of Balance: 4 â…ž

COP
21 ½” (vibration node)
23 ½” (“most authoritative whacky part”)

It feels quite light and lively! The only downside I’ve discovered is a byproduct of the aesthetics - that Bristol pommel looks lovely, but as there’s nothing actually against the heel of your hand, there’s not much of an anchor against the centrifugal pull of the sword in motion.

It’s in no danger of flying from my fingers, but I do have to stop and re-aquire my grip on the thing every so often.. On the other hand, it’s a historical style from what I understand, so it was clearly good enough for people who knew what they were doing. It might just be my weak fingers.
:)

Ursus - that would be a great delight!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Thanks Elleth, most informative and the stats sound great. If you're doing some cutting try wrapping your index finger over the guard for a better grip. Don't of course do this if in combat. We don't want to have to call you Elleth of the nine fingers. ( A Rankin/Baas reference for the kiddies. ) :P
Greg

Post by Greg »

It really did feel quality. I've not often been a fan of longer single-handed swords...I've never been much of a beater, myself (and if I had a row of historical swords in front of me and was told I had to fight with one, I'd likely pick up a smallsword) and struggle to like the handling of arming swords that have any real reach. This one was an exception. It's generally too big for a tavern brawl, but I felt Starglint handled much more like i.33 intended than a riding sword should. And gosh, you're right Pete...that fuller depth...
Elleth wrote:After completing the scabbard I came across Tod’s discussion of scabbards, where he comments that the wider spacing on a medieval scabbard is designed to give more stability - mine is not so secure as his, though I’m happy enough with it and won’t be remaking it any time soon.
The point is valid (that's what I was after with my split quiver straps) but this SO MUCH depends on context. Swords were not, as were daggers and knives, worn with any intent ever of being concealed. Perhaps they were concealed on a case-by-case basis, but I doubt a full-size arming sword would ever have a permanent belt built for the specific purpose of carrying it (potentially) concealed. Swords were worn openly, as a status symbol as much as anything. If you want stability in combat, I can see that. If you want comfort while travelling for leagues at a time, a bit of sway controlled by the off-hand on the pommel becomes second nature. I think you made a good call.
SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by SierraStrider »

Just Jaw-dropping. That inscription...
Greg

Post by Greg »

Elleth wrote:Peter - since you asked for information, I tried out that sword dynamics calculator I’ve seen folks talking about. I can’t promise I captured it perfectly, but I think this is about right:

Is it just me, or did you photoshop the blade profile into that calculator? I've never seen it spit out anything that wasn't a plain, blocky 't'.
Zaskar24
Wanderer

Post by Zaskar24 »

Greg wrote:
Elleth wrote:Peter - since you asked for information, I tried out that sword dynamics calculator I’ve seen folks talking about. I can’t promise I captured it perfectly, but I think this is about right:

Is it just me, or did you photoshop the blade profile into that calculator? I've never seen it spit out anything that wasn't a plain, blocky 't'.
Peter Johnsson gets it to spit out an image of the sword that he is working on as well. I have never tried the program in question so have no idea how it is done.

Elleth, congratulations. That is a great looking sword! The guard looks good and the pommel flows nicely with the grip.