Both of my swords.

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Both of my swords.

Post by Elwindil »

Both of these are MRL pieces, so they have the standard blunt edge from them.

First up the Ranger sword.
ranger sword.jpg
ranger sword.jpg (253.78 KiB) Viewed 10817 times
ranger sword 2.jpg
ranger sword 2.jpg (96.67 KiB) Viewed 10817 times
ranger hilt closeup.jpg
ranger hilt closeup.jpg (227.38 KiB) Viewed 10817 times
Next we have the Shienaran long sword from their wheel of time collection. Interestingly, this one I purchased from Bruce Brookhart who was a designer and tester of their blades for some time.
shienaran longsword.jpg
shienaran longsword.jpg (95.08 KiB) Viewed 10817 times
shienaran longsword 2.jpg
shienaran longsword 2.jpg (221.11 KiB) Viewed 10817 times
hilt closeup shienaran longsword.jpg
hilt closeup shienaran longsword.jpg (191.26 KiB) Viewed 10817 times
yes, there is more than a bit of rust on it and some sort of scratches in a protective film that's on the blade. I've tried a few products to remove the rust and none of the ones I've used have worked, so any recommendations would be appreciated.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Both of my swords.

Post by Peter Remling »

Try a green scrubby pad with a mild abrasive like comet with a little water. It will take a good while but you'll see results. There appears to be some mild pitting but that will just give it some character. Make sure you dry it off completely and oil it between scrubbing sessions and don't store it in the sheath. The acids in the leather are most likely what caused the issue in the first place.

If you're traveling to an event, keep it out of the sheath until you get there. Once your leaving remove it and re-oil.

I have a Mercenary That was purchased in worse condition then yours is and it doesn't looks to bad now.
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

thanks Peter. I was thinking of using some CLR on it, since we do have some but I wasn't sure if that would do the job. we've also got some comet, I'll have to get on that at some point today.

edit: also, the handle of that Ranger sword...ugh, it's the most uncomfortable thing I've ever had to hold. I'm not sure how it comes apart to fix that, and not sure that I want to take on a project like that right now. I'm also thinking of making a wooden scabbard for the Shienaran sword lined with shearling to keep it somewhat protected.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

The pommel on the ranger sword unscrews. The grip is aluminum covered in leather. That sword has the weird distinction of being awesome despite almost every part of it not being awesome.
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

thanks for that info, theowl. I wasn't too sure about how to start that. :D
imaginatus
Wayfarer

Post by imaginatus »

I've been having good results with Vaporust for cleaning up old tools. Very easy to use and low toxicity.
Good luck!
Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.