Some new stuff

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

Some new stuff

Post by Iodo »

First up, my trip to a medieval fair: (the buckler isn't mine, whish it was!)

Although I was lucky enough to find this, its quite cheap and probably not they great, but if it's not dwarvish I don't know what is :mrgreen:

Now all I need is runes on the handle, and possibly a leather rap
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Re: Some new stuff

Post by caedmon »

I like it. If it were mine to Dwarf out, I'd dispense with the leather, sand down the corners to an octogon on the grip and do the kohlrosing for the runes.

warhmar.jpg
warhmar.jpg (105.04 KiB) Viewed 18379 times

p.s. in the buckler pic, is that a forge on the cart?
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

caedmon wrote:I like it. If it were mine to Dwarf out, I'd dispense with the leather, sand down the corners to an octogon on the grip and do the kohlrosing for the runes.

p.s. in the buckler pic, is that a forge on the cart?
I like that idea, especially the octagonal handle, I think i'll do that. Your picture editing skill is amazing :mrgreen:
Yes, it is a forge in the buckler pic.

On a different note, I did call the thread 'some new stuff' and that implies more than one thing, only I didn't have time to post them both just before I left for work in the morning :P So here's the other thing that I have been exstreamly lucky to acquire lately:

I will probably customize it in time but, for now, I haven't decided which way to go. The war hammer just shouts dwarf and this? I'm not quite sure.
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Thanks, I've spent a lot of time on photoshop.

Looks like a Windlass coustile? Could make a good ranger eket.
-Jack Horner

Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

You won the photo contest? Congratulations!

And I love caedmon's decoration ideas. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Elleth wrote:You won the photo contest? Congratulations!

Oh!!! Duh, that's the SBG Photo Contest Type XIV, isn't it! Congratulations. Ignore my Eket reference.
-Jack Horner

Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

And I love caedmon's decoration ideas. :)
caedmon wrote:
Oh!!! Duh, that's the SBG Photo Contest Type XIV, isn't it! Congratulations. Ignore my Eket reference.
Thankyou both of you :P
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

It's an easy mistake to make: they have very similar profiles, and at first glance look a lot alike in photographs unless you've handled both.

I do rather miss my old one: I think the Bristol-carrying guys are right that the size is about perfect for the woodlands or discreet carry under a cloak.
I deliberately chose my Elenglin to be not-quite-right for rangering, thinking of it as a family relic grabbed in haste rather than a professional Ranger's tool.

The only thing that feels "off" too me about the XIV in our context is the pommel: it just reads much more XIV c. Europe than Middle-earth to me for whatever reason.
But other than that, I think it perfectly fits into what one would expect from a Mannish culture anywhere in Eriador or down the road into Gondor.

For whatever reason, I always pictured Dwarvish swords as more Norse-like, with a design aesthetic along the lines of Gullibursti's work.
But of course, we each have a different mental image. :)
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Yep, couldn't agree more, we all have a different mental image. I know in The Hobbit dwarves were discribed as carying short swords in the battle of the five armies, even so, for some reason I always imagine dwarves with axe's, mattocks or war hammers, never swords. Possibly some sort of mental block? Given I can't even carry a weapon as part of my kit in the UK I won't worry about it to much.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Elleth wrote: For whatever reason, I always pictured Dwarvish swords as more Norse-like, with a design aesthetic along the lines of Gullibursti's work.

But of course, we each have a different mental image. :)

Ok, where did Dwarvish swords come in? Are you referring to my dwarf design on the war hammer, are you making a Narsil reference, or something else?

If the first, I agree, sorta. Until the FoTR movie and being in this group, Gullinbursti has what I had always considered to be the base Dwarven/Northern/Rohirric style. Roughly akin to the effect of the international gothic style of the high middle ages, every culture had it's variant but the broad brush strokes were the same. The dwarvish style of the FoTR movie just felt right to me, deep down. Then with this group, the North for me has changed as well, but we've been over that ad nauseum here.

I also think that each of the great early Dwarven cities, Nogrod, Belegost, Gundaband, and Khazaddum could have each had they own style where the various ideas could have held sway.

If you meant Narsil, then my view on how that works is that it could/would have been re-hilted multiple times in it's first 3000 years (much like several European royal swords of state (like Joyeux and Curtana) have first millennia blades and 13th-18th c. hilts). So regardless of Narsil's original Nogrod Dwarvish hilt style, by the time Elendil got it, it was a standard Numenorean sword with an ancient blade.
-Jack Horner

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Ok, where did Dwarvish swords come in? Are you referring to my dwarf design on the war hammer, are you making a Narsil reference, or something else?
Ah! Only because Iodo has a Dwarvish persona and mentions being unsure how to go with decorating her new treasure. :)
And since she's learning smithing and all, she's got a lot of possibilities. :mrgreen:
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Elleth wrote:
Ah! Only because Iodo has a Dwarvish persona and mentions being unsure how to go with decorating her new treasure. :)
And since she's learning smithing and all, she's got a lot of possibilities. :mrgreen:
Hmmmm...? I can see that posting two things in the same thread is causing some confusion. Sorry about that LOL :P

I think that, given I'm unsure, I'll leave the sword as it is for now and concentrate on several other ongoing projects and learning to use the forge :mrgreen:
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Haven't had that much time for projects lately but, nearly there :P
IMG_20180712_210024.jpg
IMG_20180712_210024.jpg (47.23 KiB) Viewed 17846 times
IMG_20180712_210859.jpg
IMG_20180712_210859.jpg (43.98 KiB) Viewed 17846 times
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Looking nice! I'm glad my idea was useful.
-Jack Horner

Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

So, getting closer to thinking about putting runes on the war hammer. While trying to decide what runes and/or patterns, I got side tracked and translated the runes you put on this caedmon:
warhmar.jpg
warhmar.jpg (105.04 KiB) Viewed 17604 times
Which seem to say "WARHMAR" the same as the image name.

Forgive me for asking a stupid question but I can't help wondering, is this some sort of dwarven language or just a shortened form of the word warhammer? :lol: