Darksword armory armor

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Darksword armory armor

Post by Taylor Steiner »

I've had this armor for awhile. They still make the gourget but the pauldrons, cowters and bracers are no longer available.
It seems to be pretty nice stuff. I think it would stop a sword, maybe an arrow. I've worn some armor for sca and this stuff would hold up well in that arena. Not too heavy but does slow you down as all armor does.
They one real gripe is that the fastening system leather is kinda weak. Anyways cheers friends!
Attachments
b0SxM3r.jpg
b0SxM3r.jpg (79.35 KiB) Viewed 9924 times
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Darksword armory armor

Post by Iodo »

Nice stuff, looks cool :P

If the fastening leather is a little thin then, depending on how it's attached, it might be possible to replace it for something thicker, although it can be surprising how strong even thin leather is.
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Thank you Iodo! Good idea about replacing the straps. I'd have to figure out how to undo the rivets holding them to the armor. Maybe just drill them out?
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Out of interest may I ask how wide /thick the leather straps actually are? there's no information on the listing:

http://www.darksword-armory.com/medieva ... rget-1710/

Drilling out the rivets should work, drilling from the back is likely to be best as the back of rivets is normally more flat so the drill won't slip off as easily, if it does slip you won't damage the surface on the front of the armor. Center punching the middle of the rivet first will also help stop the drill from slipping. Just be sure you can find replacement rivets that match before you do anything (I've made that mistake more than once :P )

Hope this helps and sorry if you know most of this already, I don't know how familiar you are with this sort of thing
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Oh yeah it's definitely very helpful! I know very little about metal working so I'm lovin every bit of help. :P
The straps are about three quarter inch by an eighth of an inch. 1.5cm by maybe .5cm. So the thickness is there, it's just the leather is poor quality. Very dry and brittle.
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

TaylorSteiner wrote:Oh yeah it's definitely very helpful! I know very little about metal working so I'm lovin every bit of help. :P
The straps are about three quarter inch by an eighth of an inch. 1.5cm by maybe .5cm. So the thickness is there, it's just the leather is poor quality. Very dry and brittle.
It sounds to me like it could be thick enough to be reasonably strong, if it's dried out it will start to feel brittle and like it might break. I would try using some form of leather conditioner first, if you haven't already, I usually use mink oil but most of the available products are as good as each other. If your lucky it will become softer, more flexible and feel stronger but that all depends on how far gone it is and how it's tanned.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Cool I'll have to try that. I do have some mink oil. Unfortunately there are some spots that have some pretty large cracks.
Frodo lives!