New guy, first post... What do you look for in a Ranger sword?

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Re: New guy, first post... What do you look for in a Ranger sword?

Post by caedmon »

Elleth wrote:Out of curiosity, what do you guys think of this general concept as a default book-lore "rangery" blade? Imagine an Albion blade (Yeoman) with a brazil nut pommel (Reeve) and plain norse-ish (Jarl) guard.
Possibly etched or engraved Numenorean-ish art?

merf-albion-ranger.jpg
This is very much where my thinking on Ranger swords had been going in the last few years.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Now I just need to get those pommel art thoughts finalized... so much to do! :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

If there were such thing as a perfect sword design, every sword would look like that. I carry an older style borderwatch, from back before they were a standard offering with Albion blades. Mine is at least 3 inches longer in the blade and the guard is 2 inches longer. I carry it on a baldric which holds it higher off the ground and closer to the body so it suits me just fine in the woods. A lot of people prefer a shorter blade for ranging and they're not wrong. It all comes down to preference.

And for what it's worth I also have an older hand & a half from cold steal and if you can find one from when CS had windlass making their swords for them it's a solid sword. Anything from whomever makes their swords now is garbage.