Aras Dagnir - A Long Knife of Mirkwood

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ruinar Hrafnakveðja
Dúnadan

Aras Dagnir - A Long Knife of Mirkwood

Post by Ruinar Hrafnakveðja »

Please allow me to humbly introduce Aras Dagnir, or Hart's Bane in the common tongue. She is the newest addition to my equipment, and has so far served me faithfully. She was forged by Josh Davis of Davis Reproductions (https://davisreproductions.com/). The long knife was based on a bauernwehr from the 15th Century in the Landesmuseum in Switzerland. The main knife has a blade that is 15" long, which makes it a formidable weapon in its own right, and all of the metalwork was made of 6150 carbon steel (a similar steel to the steel of the high-late medieval period). The by-knife is 8" total, 4.5" of which are the blade. The pricker was usually used to hold meat while cutting it, as a type of early fork; but for rangering it doubles as an awl for fabric and leather. This set is extremely robust and I haven't had any issues with it or cause for concern.

The filework, mallorn nagel, and leather tooling was all custom designed by Josh and I: the scales are made of antler. All these design choices were made to emphasize it's place as an (elvish) huntsman's blade. I've created a little name poem in Sindarin and transcribed it below. In the common tongue it is "Hart’s Bane is my name. A sturdy blade for the hunter in the wild." I didn't get it etched onto the blade, mostly to appease the medieval reenactors I go to events with :shock: But I have plans to incorporate it into whatever box or bag I keep it in. The belt and all of the fittings in the last image were made by my good friend Aurora Simmons (http://www.handmaderevolution.org/). She does some amazing work and is in the process of making me a new belt with custom fittings to match Hart's Bane (I'll do a post on it once it is finished).

Sorry for the low image quality of this post, These pictures really don't do it justice. I had a lot of issues with image compression. Also the last two images should have been rotated but for some reason they are not. :evil: Sorry!
Attachments
Aras Dagnir Poem and transcription.PNG
Aras Dagnir Poem and transcription.PNG (34.33 KiB) Viewed 13870 times
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (157.15 KiB) Viewed 13870 times
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg (129.61 KiB) Viewed 13870 times
image3.jpeg
image3.jpeg (140.69 KiB) Viewed 13870 times
image4.jpeg
image4.jpeg (115.64 KiB) Viewed 13870 times
image5.jpeg
image5.jpeg (138.17 KiB) Viewed 13870 times
image6.jpeg
image6.jpeg (203.63 KiB) Viewed 13870 times
image7.jpeg
image7.jpeg (125.58 KiB) Viewed 13870 times
I wish only for green trees, cool wine, a strong bow, and a swift arrow
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Aras Dagnir - A Long Knife of Mirkwood

Post by Elleth »

Oh my word, that is a lovely thing! You went all out. :)

I'd never thought about an eating pricker doubling as an awl. Makes a lot of sense..... hrmm.... :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Elleth wrote:I'd never thought about an eating pricker doubling as an awl. Makes a lot of sense..... hrmm.... :)
I've also read where folks have suggested using one as a marlinspike - no bad thing to have in a hobby involving as much cordage as this one does.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

That’s a lovely piece. You’re a lucky owner! Have you gotten to do much cutting with it?
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

That looks amazing :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elendur Amloth
Wanderer

Post by Elendur Amloth »

Very nice! In particular I love the leaf guard - would be nice to see how that works in use! Wonderful!
'I would see the White Tree in flower again in the courts of the kings, and the Silver Crown return, and Minas Tirith in peace. Minas Anor as of old, full of light, high and fair, beautiful as a queen among other queens, not a mistress of many slaves.'
Ruinar Hrafnakveðja
Dúnadan

Taurinor wrote:
Elleth wrote:I'd never thought about an eating pricker doubling as an awl. Makes a lot of sense..... hrmm.... :)
I've also read where folks have suggested using one as a marlinspike - no bad thing to have in a hobby involving as much cordage as this one does.
So far I have used it as all three and it works beautifully! It's a very handy thing to have in this hobby
Ruinar Hrafnakveðja
Dúnadan

Ursus wrote:That’s a lovely piece. You’re a lucky owner! Have you gotten to do much cutting with it?
Thank you Ursus! I have actually. I was able to take off a pine branch (about the size of my wrist) with just two cuts. It almost doubles as a small machete for processing small wood. I was only able to do a little bit of batoning with it, but it worked well. It is a very practical stand-in should I lose my axe in battle and need to flee into the Wilds. :)
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Very nice!
Frodo lives!