Viking-era scabbard attachments

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Straelbora
Haeropada

Viking-era scabbard attachments

Post by Straelbora »

So someone has combined an analysis of archeological finds and period art to try and figure out different ways that Viking-era Norse attached their scabbards to their belts.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/23906171? ... JzmcdYfli4
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Kortoso
Haeropada

Re: Viking-era scabbard attachments

Post by Kortoso »

Thank you for sharing this here! This provides, I think, a lot of material for "experimental archeology" - similar to work done regarding later period suspension systems.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Kortoso wrote:Thank you for sharing this here! This provides, I think, a lot of material for "experimental archeology" - similar to work done regarding later period suspension systems.
It just reminds me that people will always take a simple task and make it more complicated than it needs to be.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

I don't see it that way.
Modern "wall hanger" swords are often sold with vertical suspension systems, basic similar to what you'd see on a knife. It doesn't require too much extra thought or material, and 99% of the purchasers will just hang the swords on the wall, or show up at the office Hallowe'en party with it.
But try walking more than a mile (or run during a history channel special) with the damn scabbard slapping against your leg, and you're likely to want to stop, get out some leather thongs and start rigging up something serviceable.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
HuerTa
Wanderer

Post by HuerTa »

I think the art of it is something to take into consideration. Many of our ancient brethren had a great talent for melding form and function and I think this article is a beautiful example of that. I don't see it as complicated, but more as a culture that took enough pride in their tools to also make them beautiful. It's a bit of deadly irony if that makes sense, but it's one I really appreciate.