Medieval Arrowheads and their Uses - Tod's Stuff

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ruinar Hrafnakveðja
Dúnadan

Medieval Arrowheads and their Uses - Tod's Stuff

Post by Ruinar Hrafnakveðja »

Here's a fantastic video from Tod of Tod's Stuff in the UK discussing various medieval arrowheads, what they were made of, how they were strengthened, and their various uses. It certainly gave me a lot to think about in terms of war point types and what a ranger should carry. It's a great watch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McnKrV0aDjo
I wish only for green trees, cool wine, a strong bow, and a swift arrow
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Medieval Arrowheads and their Uses - Tod's Stuff

Post by Elleth »

I saw that!

The trick with the quills was cool! I've been meaning to experiment with an arrow spoon for ages - but how cool there's an improvised solution for those nasty barbs!

.... I do hope he remembers the original source he got that from at some point. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Ruinar Hrafnakveðja
Dúnadan

Re: Medieval Arrowheads and their Uses - Tod's Stuff

Post by Ruinar Hrafnakveðja »

Elleth wrote:I saw that!

The trick with the quills was cool! I've been meaning to experiment with an arrow spoon for ages - but how cool there's an improvised solution for those nasty barbs!

.... I do hope he remembers the original source he got that from at some point. :)

I love "his" solution, because feathers would be something that archers would carry anyway for repairs!

He posted another video where he tests the arrowheads on meat, shows the feather technique, and actually has the period source! It was first recorded in 1303/1304 by a Belgian surgeon!
I wish only for green trees, cool wine, a strong bow, and a swift arrow