Nalaumkhah (Odigan WIP - Updates to Follow!)

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Bumr Blackbrand
Wayfarer

Nalaumkhah (Odigan WIP - Updates to Follow!)

Post by Bumr Blackbrand »

A few months ago I lamented the lack of Dwarven swords available on the market. I had eventually settled on an Albion that would have worked well enough, but still wasn’t totally satisfied. By recommendation of Greg and Elleth, I hit up Odigan and he drafted up this guy:

This is basically exactly what I’m looking for. It’s a 30” blade with a primary and two secondary fullers. Etched on one side will be the name of the sword in Khuzdul runes. “NALAUMKHAH - U ATHUK RA ‘URD” translates to Pathfinder, of Mine and Mountain.

Guard and pommel will both be an iron and bronze composite and the handle itself will be a wood or bone(probably bone) with a bronze grip ring and bronze bolsters.

Still working on etching designs for the hardware, aside from the typical geometric designs Dwarves are known for. I’m also thinking of having Odigan add a stylized bee into the pommel, the logo of my favorite meadery and something I think pretty befitting of a Dwarf to represent on his sword.

It’s still a work in progress and I will post updates as Odigan provides them, but attached is a photo of the absolutely stunning blade blank.
Zaskar24
Wanderer

Re: Nalaumkhah (Odigan WIP - Updates to Follow!)

Post by Zaskar24 »

Thank you for posting the additional information here! I am really looking forward to seeing this finished. It looks fantastic so far!!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

That's an amazing design (although I wouldn't expect any less from Odigan :mrgreen: ), I can't wait to see it finished :P

Bumr Blackbrand wrote: This is basically exactly what I’m looking for. It’s a 30” blade with a primary and two secondary fullers. Etched on one side will be the name of the sword in Khuzdul runes. “NALAUMKHAH - U ATHUK RA ‘URD” translates to Pathfinder, of Mine and Mountain.
Cool name :P

Bumr Blackbrand wrote: Still working on etching designs for the hardware, aside from the typical geometric designs Dwarves are known for. I’m also thinking of having Odigan add a stylized bee into the pommel, the logo of my favorite meadery and something I think pretty befitting of a Dwarf to represent on his sword.
Thinking about the name Pathfinder, of Mine and Mountain maybe you could design something that's more of a line art picture, of a path between a mine and a mountain :?: depending on how much space you have to work with of course
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Bumr Blackbrand
Wayfarer

Thank you both! I’m really excited for this thing and I absolutely cannot wait for it.
Iodo wrote: Thinking about the name Pathfinder, of Mine and Mountain maybe you could design something that's more of a line art picture, of a path between a mine and a mountain :?: depending on how much space you have to work with of course
I love the idea of the literal name of the sword being displayed in artform, but I’m not sure how detailed it could get on a smallish pommel like I imagine it’ll have. If not the pommel, maybe some leather tooling on the scabbard would be more appropriate.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Very nice so far, can't wait to see it completed !! What do you plan on doing for the scabbard. Maybe the scabbard would give you a bigger canvas for the line art picture than the pommel.
Bumr Blackbrand
Wayfarer

Peter Remling wrote:Very nice so far, can't wait to see it completed !! What do you plan on doing for the scabbard. Maybe the scabbard would give you a bigger canvas for the line art picture than the pommel.
I’m not sure! That’s kind of what I was thinking though. I’m definitely gonna have the scabbard commissioned. I’m not afraid of trying my hand at making one but a sword of this caliber deserves something professionally done.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Bumr Blackbrand wrote: I love the idea of the literal name of the sword being displayed in artform, but I’m not sure how detailed it could get on a smallish pommel like I imagine it’ll have. If not the pommel, maybe some leather tooling on the scabbard would be more appropriate.
Using the scabbard is a good idea, you could even put it on your sword belt
Bumr Blackbrand wrote: I’m definitely gonna have the scabbard commissioned
You have probably seen Greg's work before, but I'll link the thread anyway: https://www.ranger.budgetauthenticity.o ... f=9&t=3085
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Wow!

That's gonna be fascinating - I can't wait to see how it comes out!

May I ask more about the artwork? Is it going to be one of those blocky knotwork patterns or the like?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Looks like great work so far, Odigan!

Bumr B., you say that a bee is "something pretty befitting of a Dwarf to represent on his sword." I was curious if you could you elaborate on what informs this choice of decoration? (I personally wouldn't associate dwarves with beekeeping, so I would like to hear more!)
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Bumr Blackbrand
Wayfarer

Udwin wrote:Looks like great work so far, Odigan!

Bumr B., you say that a bee is "something pretty befitting of a Dwarf to represent on his sword." I was curious if you could you elaborate on what informs this choice of decoration? (I personally wouldn't associate dwarves with beekeeping, so I would like to hear more!)
I meant less the bee and more of a Dwarf putting something referencing his favorite type of alcohol. In which case, the bee is the logo of a meadery I’m a fan of.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

There's an interesting observation in this article and comments:

https://middle-earth.xenite.org/mead-ev ... dle-earth/

... which seems to suggest mead had more noble connotations that grain-based drinks, both in Middle-earth and in the cultures that inspired it.

I don't know what that suggests for your sword, other than it might imply relatively rich ornament would be suitable.

regardless, neat! :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Bumr Blackbrand wrote:Thank you both! I’m really excited for this thing and I absolutely cannot wait for it.
Iodo wrote: Thinking about the name Pathfinder, of Mine and Mountain maybe you could design something that's more of a line art picture, of a path between a mine and a mountain :?: depending on how much space you have to work with of course
I love the idea of the literal name of the sword being displayed in artform, but I’m not sure how detailed it could get on a smallish pommel like I imagine it’ll have. If not the pommel, maybe some leather tooling on the scabbard would be more appropriate.
If you want it as a leather tooling design, then maybe something similar to this :?:

Bumr Blackbrand
Wayfarer

I'll have to consider what noble implications that has for this sword as I was planning on the Dwarven equivalent of a Ranger - the fells-ward.

Iodo, that tooling design is absolutely incredible! What type of Khuzdul are you using to translate? I'm using the Dwarrow Scholar and what I assume is Pathfinder along the bottom looks pretty different. I'm not sure which I like better.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Bumr Blackbrand wrote: Iodo, that tooling design is absolutely incredible! What type of Khuzdul are you using to translate? I'm using the Dwarrow Scholar and what I assume is Pathfinder along the bottom looks pretty different. I'm not sure which I like better.
The runes are the ones Tolkien uses in the hobbit to "represent" dwarvish, there not your best choice for an accurate interpretation, I use them in most of my stuff because I learn't them from The Hobbit book when I was young and can read/right them from memory, I drew that at work (don't tell my boss) and didn't have any notes to work from so couldn't use anything else

Your right that along the bottom it says "Pathfinder"

Then on the left: "of mine"
And on the right: "and mountain"

I didn't intend that you use exactly this (although you can if you want), just use it for inspiration
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Wow! This is just stunning! What an awesome project! And I just looked up the discussion about the dwarven title of "Fells-Ward" as well, and I think that's absolutely brilliant! Can't wait to see how this turns out!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains