Hanwei practical viking sword customisation

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Shadrack
Dúnadan

Hanwei practical viking sword customisation

Post by Shadrack »

Been a while since I've posted anything here as life has been busy with uni and all that but! At last I've made some progress on my kit the first of which being I finally got around to customizing the hanwei practical viking sword I acquired a while ago. The sword itself felt very nice, simple but solid. The scabbard however left a fair amount to be desired. the fiberglass construction was sturdy enough, but the faux wood finish felt a bit cheap.
I wrapped and stitched a piece of leather around it, adding some risers where I planned to mount the belt. After dying the leather black I then carved out a slider(?) to hold the belt in place, lashing it to the scabbard with some waxed cotton cord. I ordered a belt blank, attaching a buckle and carved some geometrical mountain designs into the leather. I weathered the pommel and guard of the sword using some black ink to give it a bit more of a worn-in look but left the blade untouched.
sword_1.jpg
sword_1.jpg (64.7 KiB) Viewed 11009 times
sword_2.jpg
sword_2.jpg (54.27 KiB) Viewed 11009 times
sword_3.jpg
sword_3.jpg (42.94 KiB) Viewed 11009 times
sword_4.jpg
sword_4.jpg (30.16 KiB) Viewed 11009 times
sword_5.jpg
sword_5.jpg (15.79 KiB) Viewed 11009 times
I'm very happy with the outcome. The sword now feels as though it has some history to it and the designs on the belt give it a bit of lineage in my mind. I will probably try to replace the buckle with something more appropriate in the future and I may re-wrap the grip at some point but as of now it feels great to proudly brandish it around the house.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Hanwei practical viking sword customisation

Post by Peter Remling »

Nice job ! Don't score the ceiling while brandishing it ! :P
Shadrack
Dúnadan

Post by Shadrack »

Peter Remling wrote:Nice job ! Don't score the ceiling while brandishing it ! :P
... I won't...
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Very nicely done!

Might I ask what method you used to add those accent lines to the belt material? What's the wood the bridge was carved from?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Nice work, the tooling pattern on the belt is amazing :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Awesome. I love the belt design.
Shadrack
Dúnadan

Post by Shadrack »

Greg wrote:Very nicely done!

Might I ask what method you used to add those accent lines to the belt material? What's the wood the bridge was carved from?
The wood might be macrocarpa but I can't be 100% sure, I grabbed a small chunk of it from the scrap bin in my uni's workshop. The lines on the belt however were made with a cheap little stitching groover guided by a ruler to make sure the lines were straight.
groover1.jpg
groover1.jpg (21.2 KiB) Viewed 10881 times
I used this little attachment for the straight lines around the edges of the belt
groover2.jpg
groover2.jpg (24.54 KiB) Viewed 10881 times
( Specifically this one if anyone's interested: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OH ... UTF8&psc=1 )
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

That's exactly the tool I use for a lot of my work, combined with various other home made stamps and such, it works well
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Wow! Using a little groover tool like that for all those lines must have really taken a lot of work! It came out beautifully though!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains