Arm guards/vambraces

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Arm guards/vambraces

Post by Eric C »

Okay, as mentioned in another thread, I am going to get into the wilderness with my son next Friday, unless there is some sort of disaster. We are planning to take our bows along. My son doesn't need an arm guard for his modern little bow, but my bamboo bow is a different story. Last time I shot it, I wore a bruise for two weeks! So I have on the list to make a pair of vambraces one day, but I don't know when that day is yet. I have too many irons in the fire as it is.
So anyway, does anybody know a good way to make a decent arm guard that will function for a while until I make the vambraces?
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Eric: As long as it doesn't have to be fancy, take any of that scrape garment leather I sent you and double layer it, wrap it around your arm and useing cord or shoe laces tye it on, criss crossing the laces.

I don't remember if I sent you or Mike a piece or stiffer glossy black leather, this would be even better than the above. Simply cut it to about 6" by 8" punch lacing holes in both of the longer sides and lace it up. It will last you a good long time and offer plenty of protection for your arm.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Most vambraces are designed to protect the outer arm. A bracer is designed to protect the inner arm, so before starting on your vambraces you might want to design one that allows you to put a bracer over it or build a bracer into the design on your off-arm.

Typical model vambrace's straps (on the inside of the arm) will interfere with the bowstring unless you take this into account in the design or remove your off-arm vambrace before shooting.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

After I wrote this up last night, I looked through the things that I have and noticed that some of my thick leather is too thin for the soles of my boots. I may take a piece of it and a piece of the softer stuff you sent me and line the thicker, less comfortable leather. I also plan to use the four small buckles you sent to fasten it. That is the plan anyway. I'll probably procrastinate to the point that I end up tying it on as you said.

The stiffer glossy black must have gone to Mike, but I do have some suede that I am planning to use on the boots, I think.
Chris Russo
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Chris Russo »

Peter Remling wrote:Most vambraces are designed to protect the outer arm. A bracer is designed to protect the inner arm, so before starting on your vambraces you might want to design one that allows you to put a bracer over it or build a bracer into the design on your off-arm.

Typical model vambrace's straps (on the inside of the arm) will interfere with the bowstring unless you take this into account in the design or remove your off-arm vambrace before shooting.
I was looking at the site's pics of Andy's bracers, and they seem to have an off-center cut so that they protect both--combined bracers and vambraces (at least on the left arm). I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like.

Did you have a pattern for that, Andy, or did you just figured it out as you went?
Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

Hey chris,
they are off center cut. My left one laces on the bottom when the arm is extended and the right on the inside. I do have a pattern that I can scan and post.

Andy
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

It would be great to see that pattern! I'm hoping to start very soon and maybe I can get it done before Friday.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

So Andy, I'm supposing you have to have help tying that on. I'm guessing it runs from the wrist to about the bend in the arm. It is maybe an inch to two inches below the bend where the string strikes my arm.
I keep thinking of starting on it tonight, but after spending all day in the sun chasing kids around our church, the worst thing I can do is start measuring and cutting out leather tonight.
Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

Hey Eric,

I'm working off of my lapttop since the desktop was shipped. I'll load the printer scanner on the laptop today and post the basic pattern for both arms. I have a lace system that tightens on itself so you can easily put them on by yourself.

Andy
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

That sounds like a cool system, Andy. Sorry, sometimes we forget that others are hampered by inconveniences such as moving. I despize moving, but I'm actually looking forward to leaving the place we're in now.
Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

Hey Eric,

Got the printer/scanner loaded.

The tracings are from a set of oil tanned bracers i made but are a bit small.

The rounded extention should cover the joint when the arms are in a striking or countering stance.

I'll take some pics of the lacing process tomorrow or the next day as it is impossible to explain.

I also use a flap sewn to one side on the inside that acts as a tongue under the lacing.

I would make some construction paper patterns and use those to adjust the shape.

http://www.meranger.com/Bracers.html

Andy
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Just printed off the drawings. I'm going to look them over at work and see if I can get started on them. They look really good!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Btw, what is a good leather weight for the bracers? I've got a good piece of leather via Peter Remling that should work, but I'm just curious. With the leather that I have now, it's kind of a one shot thing. If I mess it up, I'm going to the woods without a bracer this weekend.
Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

Hey Eric,

Almost any weight will work. I've some some with lighter weight that I then reinforced with strips of heavy stuff. If you use real heavy, ie 12oz, it will probably need some work to get it shaped. Over time, the normal wear and sweat will help shape it.

I'll try calling this weekend reference the boots.

Andy
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Okay, I'll be waiting.