Cold Steel Gunstock War Club

This section is for reviews of stuff that is commonly available, or from a vendor that has more to get. New sword from Albion, or Windlass? Great. Leather work or cloak from a vendor or another board member who has hung out her shingle? Excellent. Discussion of the finer points of the arrows you just made. Not so much. Put that it in the Weapons & Armor Section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Avery P.
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Avery P. »

by Avery Pierce

Stats
Stock Material - Polypropylene
Spike Material - 1055 Carbon Steel
Weight - Roughly 1 1/2#
P.O.B. - 17" From tip of handle
Length to Spike - 18 1/8"
Overall Length - 29 1/2"
Cost $45USD

Introduction
I've been the market for a gunstock warclub/tomahawk for a while now. Originally I wanted a traditionally made club, but after seeing this Cold Steel model, I decided to take the plunge.
I ordered this through Richard over at Sword Nation.This is the first time I've ordered anything through Richard. Great guy! He was quick to answer any question I had, and he'll beat just about any price out there. I'd recommend him to anyone looking for a good deal.
I placed the order on the 24th and received on the 28th. Great shipping time. The Club arrived in a well packaged, well taped box.

Upon opening, I saw a lot of paper wrapped around a plastic bag housing the club.

After removing the paper, I was looking at a warclub wrapped in a plastic bag. It kinda looked like a toy package more than a weapon. "But", I thought to myself, "It really is just a toy".

After Opening the bag, the first thing that struck me was the weight. But more on that later.

History
These weapons are wholly the creation of native Americans. After seeing the awe inspiring musket, tribes began to create clubs and tomahawks patterned after the shape and weight of a musket stock, with the spike placed near where the flash pan would be. Native American tribes from the eastern shore to the plains and beyond incorporated the gunstock tomahawk in their weapons catalogue. Here are a couple of pics of traditional clubs.

And here's one with a longer stock style.

Who, after seeing the film last of the Mohicans, can forget Chingachgook hurling his warclub through the forest. Here’s a trailer if you haven't seen the film. The scene I'm referring to happens near the beginning, but you can also see it in a couple of different times during the trailer.

Stock and Spike
As I said in the stats, this is a polypropylene stock. The ad says "virtually indestructible" and I gotta say they're probably right. But first, aesthetics. Even though it's made from polypropylene, it's made to look like wood grain. All in all, it's a fairly good simulation, except where injection tip left a blemish.

This really isn't a big deal, but I think it could be avoided.
The stock itself isn't patterned after any historical example in particular; it's more of a conglomeration of several different types. One thing I truly like is the "fawns foot" handle seen on many different types found in museums.
The spike is ideally placed in the stock, being in a position to deliver the most effective impact. It also came with small leather covering to protect surroundings during transport.
The spike itself, although isn't sharpened, is beveled to a nice point. I myself like this, as I wouldn't want the spike very sharp. The sheer weight and force from an impact of one of these would be more than enough to create a wound track. An overly sharpened edge would just invite chipping.

Handling and Throwing
First off, this club isn't designed implicitly for throwing. This was and is a versatile weapon. But, let's talk about the throwing aspect first. The pacings for a single revolution throw is 6 1/2 paces form the target. With all the forward weight and stock presence, the spike buried deep in the wood. Very deep.

I will say this, you either hit, and bury the spike, or you miss altogether.. There's no in between. It took me two tries to stick the spike. Even though I missed the stick on the first one, it still dented the target. So, I thought, how hard can this thing hit?
My target is worn out, the center is really nothing more than splinters. I threw the axe to over rotate a couple of times, and the center was beat beyond recognition.
Quite frankly, if you take a hit from one of these, getting back up isn't going to be on the top of your' list.
As for handling, well I'll say this. I think if Chingachgook were given this weapon, he would soon realize how tough and durable it truly is. It doesn't swell, shrink, rot or loosen. So they say, any way. I think they’re probably right. I can’t see this stock not outlasting any wood.

Update
Heres a short video on the throwing and durability. I apologize for the poor quality, This was done on short notice.

Gunstock War Club Vs 4"by4"

I gotta say, this thing keeps impressing me!

Bottom line

Pros

1) Like the ad says , "Virtually indestructible"
2) A high carbon spike
3) Easily modified

Cons
1) Lets face it, it's made from plastic.
2) Although it's very tough, it doesn't forgive bad throws.
3) Handle gets slick with sweat very quick.

Conclusion

If you're looking for a traditional or historical model, I'd say give this a pass. If, on the other hand, you're looking for a contemporary more versatile design, I'd say give this a look.
If it be a sin to covet honor,I am the most offending soul alive.
- W. Shakespeare