Coal Creek Forge Damascus Rogers Ranger Axe

This section is for reviews of stuff that is commonly available, or from a vendor that has more to get. New sword from Albion, or Windlass? Great. Leather work or cloak from a vendor or another board member who has hung out her shingle? Excellent. Discussion of the finer points of the arrows you just made. Not so much. Put that it in the Weapons & Armor Section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Avery P.
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Coal Creek Forge Damascus Rogers Ranger Axe

Post by Avery P. »

Coal Creek Forge Damascus (Pattern Welded) Rogers Ranger Axe Review
by Avery Pierce

Stats

Axe Head Length (from tip of the spike to the blade face)- 8 1/4"
Axe Head Width at eye - 7/8"
Blade Face Length -(peak to peak) - 3"
Bevel Width - 3/8" (lenticular)
Axe Material - High Carbon Steels
Weight - 14oz
POB 16 1/2" from end of handle ( if the handle is a standard and unmodified, this will change.)
Price - $200

Introduction
Over the past several months I've been looking at higher end, handmade axes. I've wanted to get some new heads to evaluate and try out, as I'm always trying to find strong axes at a fair price. An ex-forum member here told me about a fella by the name of Stephen D. Liley, owner and operator of Coal Creek Forge. After seeing some pictures of his work and speaking with him, I knew his was the work I was looking for.
His skill,experience and attention to detail is spot on.
He trys out every axe he makes EXTENSIVELY, in his own words " If it's gonna break, I wanna be the one to break it!".
I've been told by other people I trust that his work is often imitated, albeit poorly. He's the one who's set the bar for axe makers all over the country.

Upon Arrival
Stephen e-mailed me Monday, letting me know the package was on the way. It arrived by the standard post the following Friday in a well taped and packaged box.
After opening the box I found the head to be wrapped in layers of bubble wrap. This baby wasn't going to poke through anything!

I unwrapped the covering, and what I saw blew me away!

History
The name Rogers' Rangers hearkens back to the French and Indian War. Started by Robert Rogers in 1756, the rangers were one of the first examples of colonial gorilla warfare. While other militia groups were struggling against the French, the Rangers took the fight to them. Utilizing raids, night warfare and hit and run tactics, they were feared up and down the frontier. They adopted the tactics and strategies of the Indian warriors and blended them with western technologies of the period.
Rogers wasn't only a fighter, he was also very educated and wrote books on discipline and readiness. After the end of the war, he and his men continued to watch the borders and guard against Indian attacks. If you are unfamiliar with the Rogers Rangers and like American history, it's well worth the research.

Heres a small passage about Rogers from Wordpress.com.
"Given his independent temperament, Robert Rogers was appropriately born in New Hampshire, in 1731. He later traveled along Lake Michigan and the Pacific coast as an explorer, brawler, trader, trapper, and frontiersman, exploring the Appalachians and inventing the name “Oregon” for the area he cleared. Thirty years later, Meriwether Lewis would return to map it.

Rogers spent his early adulthood as an Indian fighter for the British colonies, but was facing indictment for counterfeiting in 1755 when the French and Indian War broke out. The indictment was dropped on the condition Rogers join the war effort and he did so wholeheartedly, applying himself and the skills he’d learned as an outdoorsman with such vigor and effectiveness that modern-day U.S. Army Rangers trace their lineage directly to his eighteenth century example."
A historical drawing of the original Rangers' hawk can be seen in a great many 'hawks today

Axehead

First off, this is a high carbon head, meaning it will rust if not properly cared for. Stephen was nice enough to clear coat the head for me before sending it. It arrived in the condition seen below.

As you can see, the head is more than an axehead, it's a work of art. The time and patience that goes into making just one of these more than justifies the price. After my initial " holy crap" moment, I took the time to look more closely. Now, admittedly, I'm not a big fan of patterned welded weapons. I see it to be a lot of times as poorly done or merely a gimmick.
When I see a really well done piece like this one, it reminds me of what can be done with steel. The pattern weld on this head is what's called a " Random Pattern".
Personally I love how the waves flow into the bevel of the axe. As I said earlier, Steves' attention to detail is nothing short of excellent. One of the biggest gripes I have with any handmade axe is the transition from the side of the eye to the cheek on the axe. Most of the time you'll see a build-up of steel in these areas because the maker either can't draw it out or doesn't have the tools. With this axe head, there's nothing but a smooth transition.

Another trait of the axe that caught my attention was the flair and taper of the bridge. When I saw how it narrows in front of the eye, only to swell back out a little before diving into the bevel, I couldn't wait to throw it.

And then there's the spike. Wicked looking bastard if you ask me. The spike isn't sharpened, which is historically accurate. The spike wasn't sharpened by the Rangers. Left blunt, it was a crushing tool. If a ranger missed with his initial swing, a mere twist of the wrist and back swing would bring the spike barreling toward an enemies body.

Now to the downside. As with all tomahawks, the eye is smaller than with handaxes. This one is no different. It friction fits a standard teardrop handle, but left unmodified the handle is too large. Some work to a handle should be expected if you're going to capitalize on the axes' full potential. The pictures below will give you an idea of the difference. One is with a standard, unmodified handle and the other is with a handle I keep for tomahawks.

Handling and Throwing

Well, even though it is a beautifully made 'hawk, I still had to throw it. And in the little time I've known Steve, I knew he'd approve. With such a light weight head and a perfect P.O.B., this baby sailed to the target. When you hold it in your' hands, it begs to be thrown. As I was walking to my target it was whispering " throw me, Avery, I want to taste your' target". OK, maybe not, but it sure felt like it.
The pacings on this is the standard 5 paces. Being so light, it's one of the quickest hawks I've ever thrown. The next pictures show my first throw, a little too close. After that I dialed it in and even had a little fun with the spike.
As with all tomahawks, throwing is only part of its' function. Close range combat is also a very important part of any hawks design. This 'hawk is very light and fast, with an unsurpassed recovery. There's a man I know who still practices the 'hawk and long knife fighting style of his tribe, and I can't wait for him to handle this one. I value his opinion very highly, and believe he will love this 'hawk.

About the Maker

This is a new section I've added to my reviews. I wanted not only to speak of the blades I review but also of the person who makes them. Steve has made over 500 hawks in his lifetime thus far. Over the past 30 years he has perfected a high carbon hawk. Within the last four, he's been expirementing with pattern weld.
Now, before the topic of the price comes up in discussion, I'd like to point out a few things. Most 30yr welders make upwards of $27 an hour. Don't take my word for it, look into it.
Steve states that it takes 12hrs to make a hawk. 12hrs, minus the cost of material, shipping, fuel and over all overhead means he pays himself $12 an hour. He doesn't do this for the money, he does it for the passion of creating a work of art!

the Lowdown

Pros

Man, where do I begin?
1) Beautiful pattern weld
2) Handcrafted high carbon steel
3) Unsurpassed durability
4) Incredibly light and fast for combat
5) Excellent thrower

Cons

1) A standard handle will need reshaping.( although he's told me this is no longer an issue)
2) Too pretty to throw ( Will this count as a con?)
3) Given that I don't know of any Damascus 'hawks, I can't say it's historically accurate. Although the design and shape itself is.

Where to buy
As I've said, these axes are the sole creation of Mr. Stephen D. Liley. As such, they are only available through his forge, Coal Creek Forge His email is ccfms@sbcglobal.net

If it be a sin to covet honor,I am the most offending soul alive.
- W. Shakespeare