Hanwei Short bearded Axe Review

This section is for reviews of stuff that is commonly available, or from a vendor that has more to get. New sword from Albion, or Windlass? Great. Leather work or cloak from a vendor or another board member who has hung out her shingle? Excellent. Discussion of the finer points of the arrows you just made. Not so much. Put that it in the Weapons & Armor Section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Avery P.
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Avery P. »

Hanwei Short Bearded Axe Review
by Avery Pierce

Stats
Axe Head Length (from the back to the blade face)- 7 1/2"
Blade Face Length -(peak to peak) - 3 7/8"
Bevel Width - 1/4"
Axe Material -Antiqued High Carbon Steel
Axe Head Weight - 1lb 12 oz
Handle Material - ??
Handle Weight - 8 oz
Handle Length - 23 5/8"
POB 19 1/2" from end of handle
Price - $45 USD plus Shipping

Introduction
The last Hanwei axe I bought I wasn't too impressed with. But, since Marcs prices at Wiwingtis Sword Supplies are irresistible when it comes to axes, I decided to take the plunge and try again. Even though there are manufacturers out there that offer better made axes, their prices are higher. " So", I thought, " What is this forum really about? What is a good review for axes that keeps to the spirit of Pauls intent?" And the answer I came to was the best product for the lowest price. With that in mind, I ordered this axe to put it through my paces.

Upon Arrival
I placed my order with Marc on Sunday, and the box arrived the following Thursday. My experience with Marcs shipping and updates thus far have been excellent. I was promptly emailed a tracking number after my order was placed, and he is quick to respond to any query.
The box arrived as seen below

After cutting the tape with my pocket knife, I found yet another box wrapped inside.

Upon opening the box I finally found the axe packaged inside. I'll say this, there's no way this was going to be damaged in transit! The whole thing was wrapped in bubble wrap and secured with styrofoam and cardboard.

Once I cut all the tape and cardboard from the axe, I was able to get a good look at my new toy. It came with a blade cover that had a nifty button closure to keep the blade safe. Under that, there was still yet another plastic wrapping around the blade.

History
Examples of these axes are found throughout the lands of the vikings. These were used, as Hanwei states, for close quarters combat. When the Vikings led raids on villages and monasteries, these would have been utilized when entering huts and rooms. Places where a large axe or spear would be a hindrance. Or, on the battle field when an enemy was too close for the spear. For anyone interested in the rich history of these weapons I suggest taking an hour or two to do a few searches on the web.

Handle
After looking at the handle and its shape, I was kinda relieved. Although I still haven't found out for sure the material, this handle is thicker and a bit beefier than the last handle. Sure it was light, but that just made the recovery that much quicker. Being the right length for the history books, and billed as "a close quarters weapon, while still being light enough to throw when necessary. Made by Hanwei " (taken straight from Hanweis' website) you'd think the handle would be able to stand up to a bit of throwing. I mean, it was built to be thrown when necessary, wasn't it?
Well, more on this later.
The handle length is a bit over twenty three and half inches, for an axe head for this size, the overall length is pretty much right.
The handle is oval shaped, with a slight taper for friction fitting. Thing is, even though it's made for a friction fit, for some reason Hanwei also used glue to secure the head. You can see the remnants of the glue in the axe eye below, along with the handle shape.

Axe Head

To start with, I really like this axe head. I not really a big fan of antiqued weapons, I think it's an added cost that most folks can do without. Having said that, it looks kinda cool on this one.
The slight curve of the spine coupled with the beard and the curvature of the bridge makes for an overall aesthetically pleasing look. The bevel is polished to a mirror finish. Which I think is kinda funny given the trails I was about to put it through.
I forgot to get a picture of the bevel before I threw it, but this one is after I had thrown it a few times.

The blades cross section is wedge shaped. The axe only has a 1/4" bevel, which combined with the wedge cross section results in a fat bevel. Very fat. It's a bit hard to see in the photo, but it'll give you a good idea.

This makes the blade face more resilient, of course, but makes it difficult to stick in hard target. Again, I'll address this in the " Throwing and Handling".
Another thing I like is the attention to detail this axe head has. Even though it's mold cast, I couldn't find any indication of a marriage line on the spine or the bridge of the axe.

Throwing and Handling

Well, here we go! First off, I'll start with the basics. When it comes to the handling, this axe is fairly fast. Of course I can't expect it to be as fast as a belt axe being that it's larger and heavier. However, the light handle allows all the swinging power to quickly transfer the head. The recovery on a swing isn't too bad either. All in all, when it comes to handling, I'd give it a solid A-. I'd given it an A+, but the handle won't stand up to any real impact if you miss with axe head.
Now, here's the problem with this axe. Two problems in fact. The first is the bevel. Being so fat it doesn't bite into the target very well. Or at all, really. With a handle length of 23 1/2", the pacing from the target is right at seven. More like 6 and 3/4 paces. The first time I threw, I did so gently, just to make sure I was right on my paces. The blade face hit and bounced out.
"No biggie", I thought. Now that I was sure of my paces, I put a little more force. Bounce. A little harder. Bounce. Every time I hit, my handle was parallel with the target, and my target just spat it back out. So, I figured I'd back up a bit and let the axe over rotate a little. Finally, I got the axe to stick. Fairly deep too.

Understand that my target is fresh walnut, pretty hard. If any of my throws were to hit an actual person, I have no doubt whatsoever that it would've sunk deep into the body. But since it's illegal to throw at people (shame really, especially when in a checkout line and the person in front of you can't get their P.I.N. right or starts to write a check after they've been rung up), I have to throw at something. Even when I over rotated the axe, it still wasn't to reliable. Sometimes it would stick, sometimes not.
Then it happened. I was standing too far back while throwing very hard. Hoping for a deep stick. The axe over rotated and the end of the handle struck the target. I heard the wood splinter and the handle fly apart.

We all have bad throws, kinda like bad cuts, it just happens. But I have to say that if this handle had been hickory, It wouldn't have broke. So, after a quick cussing session, I went ahead and used a sledge hammer handle I had. I just cut the handle down to 24" and wedge fitted it to the head. I'll make a proper tapered handle for it later, but for now this at least makes it functional again and shows how easily the handle problem can be fixed.

This handle is heavier and thicker, which makes it heavier and changes the P.O.B. Also makes it a little slower when handling for combat. But the trade off is worth it, IMHO. After replacing the handle, I went back to target. There it was, mocking me. Just looking at me, ready to spit my axe back in my face.
With every bit of force and control I had, I hurled the axe into its mocking face. THUNK! The axe buried parallel. Though the heavier handle made it a bit slower, the added weight was no match for the target. I threw for about an hour and was surprised to find that the axe didn't stick only a handful of times.

Conclusion

Well, what can I say. I like this axe, of that I'm sure. And at a price of only $45 USD through Marc, I'd say it's worth it. Just as long as the buyer expects certain things. If you plan to use the axe for pure costuming and some light cutting, it's a great buy. If you plan to buy it for use expect to replace the handle. Especially if you plan to throw it.

Pros.

1) Aside from being mold cast, the head is historically accurate.
2) Very nice polish on the mirror polish on the bevel.
3) Attractive antiquing on the axe head.

Cons.

1) Weak handle.
2) thick or "fat" bevel, poor for biting a target.
3) Did I say weak handle?
4) if you plan on using it, be prepared to care for the finish.
If it be a sin to covet honor,I am the most offending soul alive.
- W. Shakespeare