Avery Pierce Custom Axe

This section is for reviews of stuff that is commonly available, or from a vendor that has more to get. New sword from Albion, or Windlass? Great. Leather work or cloak from a vendor or another board member who has hung out her shingle? Excellent. Discussion of the finer points of the arrows you just made. Not so much. Put that it in the Weapons & Armor Section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Fallsofdragon
Dúnadan

Avery Pierce Custom Axe

Post by Fallsofdragon »

Swótnes
AVERY PIERCE Custom Viking Bearded Axe Review <> by Fallsofdragon

Stats
Axe Head Length - 7 1/4 "
Axe Head Width ( at eye)- 1 5/8 "
Blade Face Length - 4 3/8 "
Beard Width - 1 3/4 "
Bevel Width - 3/8 "
Hammer Face - 1 1/8 " x 7/8 " with Avery's cool rune mark centered
Axe Material - High Carbon Steel
Overall Length - 29 "
Overall Weight - 2 lbs. 7.6 oz.
Haft Wood - Hickory
POB - 5 1/2 " from top of axe head
Edge - Sharp!
Petersen Type - D (it's a Delta as best I can decipher from the Jan Petersen book -De Norske Vikingesverd (1919)

Introduction
This is one singularly awesome Viking Bearded Axe as crafted by our forum axesmith AVERY PIERCE, he posted it on another forum and my best pal Jim aka "Ranger Alvin" jumped on it and asked me if I would accept delivery and do this review. YES! says I and it has been fun to check out this magnificent weapon/tool
Alvin has christened his beauty new axe Swótnes, which I understand is old english anglo-saxon for Sweetness, and she is sweeeeeet!

Arrival
Jim and Avery closed their deal on Jan 11 or there abouts, Avery had it shipped by USPS priority on thurs. Jan 12 and it arrived in perfect condtion on sat. Jan 14, Avery provided a tracking # and I had to sign for package, great fast service! The axe arrived in a heavy duty cb box and copious amounts of bubble wrap, what a great package job, actually the best package job I have seen for an edged weapon, Avery's 'package' is awesome ... LOL
I took a picture after the fact of unwrapping, but hopefully you can see what I mean.

History
The Vikings used axes as weapons and as tools
I have decided to place reference links here for you to see, they are very worthwhile, #1 will tell you all kinds of Viking Axe information plus hook on their history link at top of page and you can learn much, as have I. #2 is a link to pdf download of Jan Petersens book on Viking Weapons typology, it's written in norwegian, but the pictures are where it's at, swords-axes-spear points, ect.

If you want an AWESOME CUSTOM AXE ... contact AVERY PIERCE 8)

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/article ... ng_axe.htm

http://www.archive.org/details/DeNorske ... ingetidens

More Pictures ... any notes needed about what you are seeing will be at top of picture or set of pictures, FYI

For Scale: so you can see size, placed side by side with my H/T 9th Century Viking sharpie, now that's a good size sword, weighs 2 lbs. 8 oz. almost same weight as Viking Axe, I would like the sword at my side in scabbard, but I will take the axe in hand to duel, oh yeah, also a shield & leather helm ... and a drinking horn LOL :D

Avery sent these pictures to me, THE FIRE of his forge, THE FIRE of his inspiration, by the sweat of his brow and strength of arm and artistry of his eye, he brings a weapon to life, it fairly glows and whispers "I am Swótnes "

Detail Pictures Axehead: I will comment as necessary at top of picture
Beautiful Perfect Forge Finish, notice the very slight radius of cutting edge, very nice, also the wicked 'top horn', the top point is a killer, pure and simple

Nice haft collar, beautiful grain of hickory haft, also the axehead is affixed to haft with hard core clear epoxy, from underside of axehead, perfect job too! I love this added touch for strength and durability, absolute must have in my opinion

The perfect taper of axehead and wedge fitting of haft to head, the mass of hammer horn, smasher!

Avery's awesome rune mark on smasher face, should leave the enemy with quite an impression LOL

Edge View, the biter

When first received the smallest flaw was discovered, the smallest, hard to see, hairline crack centered on back of haft starting at bottom of axehead and about 3/4 " long, not really a problem, but needed to be fixed, more for water proofing and to rebond, I used the strongest wood glue, gorilla glue, it's like honey but sets up like epoxy, 100% water proof, worked perfect and good luck seeing the hairline crack, the haft was examined with magnifying glass and no other flaws are present, Avery thought it may have occured at wedge fitting and curing, he hadn't noticed it and neither did I until I used magni - glass cheater spectacles, Jim and I both didn't think much of it but Avery wanted me to mention it in review and this I have done.

Impressions - Handling - First and foremost this is a Viking Warrior Combat Axe ... and also a tool, a multi task weapon. I did not throw this axe, though I'm sure a practiced axeman like Avery could do wonders with this beauty, but since it's arrival I have handled it extensively and now I much prefer this larger size weapon to my shorter lighter hawks and such, the grip of the haft is a nice rounded sort of rectangular, very much like a good sword grip, the smooth finish of hickory wood lends itself to quick easy sliding in hand for battle strikes need, single or double handed, yet the grip feels so secure and the collar and end of haft are great stop points that you just feel, no need to even look, all by tactile sensory, perfect.
Now it is head heavy but only when compared to the smaller axes, let me put in in gun terms
a big caliber heavy bullet moving at maybe a slower velocity
versus a less caliber lighter bullet at higher velocity
well, that's a debate that could be applied to swords also,
HA! My conclusion=use what YOU think will work, that's the BEST answer and solution.
This axe arrived here killer sharp! Perfect bevel work, it's still as sharp and unblemished after smacking against some plywood, the hickory haft has the most beautiful grain and Avery shaped it perfect, and obviously he chooses a good quality attractive stick to hook that awesome axehead on, speaking of which, the finish of axehead is my most favorite of all, go ahead-think me weird, I love just looking at the patterns of forge finish, it's like abstract art and most of all, every axe Avery builds will be one of a kind, unique - handmade - the only one like it in all the world.

Conclusion ... one word ... AWESOME! 8) :D

Pros: Great Communication, Fast Shipping, Outstanding Craftsmanship and Excellent Value
I do not know the "exact" price that Jim " Ranger Alvin " paid for this axe but worth every penny, Avery put a lot of hours into this one. Of course contact Avery Pierce for commission needs and pricing as available.

Cons: well, they are in lock-up
I guess that hairline crack perhaps, but it was an easy fix and wood is that way sometimes and if it was terrible wrong, Avery would have re-done, now that's a "Pro" in my book.
Maybe one last con, when he offers something for sale, best take advantage and get it when the gettin's good, folks are finding out how cool these are and you may wait in line for another chance. Thank You Jim ... Thank You Avery
STRENGTH & HONOR ... Thanks For Viewing :D

Image The Queen of Light took her bow and then she turned to go
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom and walked the night alone