Kris Cutlery Roman Spatha

This section is for reviews of stuff that is commonly available, or from a vendor that has more to get. New sword from Albion, or Windlass? Great. Leather work or cloak from a vendor or another board member who has hung out her shingle? Excellent. Discussion of the finer points of the arrows you just made. Not so much. Put that it in the Weapons & Armor Section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Alvin
Wanderer

Kris Cutlery Roman Spatha

Post by Alvin »

I had been interested in this sword for quite some time. I finally ordered one from Kult of Athena on Aug. 01, 2013. Lucky for me that I did, as KoA now shows this sword as being back ordered. I have read on another forum that Kris Cutlery apparently has had some problems with their Philippine blade makers, and are now looking to obtain swords from their Chinese producers. I hope that they will continue offering their complete line, including this sword.

KoA

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp ... man+Spatha+

Researching online the history of the spatha has been a bit confusing to me. I have read a lot of theories. Originally, most say that the spatha was copied by the Romans from their Celtic and/or German opponents. It is apparent that historically the Roman cavalry began to use the spatha in Roman service in the 1st century A.D. As time passed, the spatha was adopted by the Roman infantry ; the gladius was phased out; and the spatha was used by both the cavalry and the infantry.

According to Websters Dictionary ….

“The word derives from Ancient Greek sp??? (spathe), "any broad blade, of wood or metal" but also "broad blade of a sword".[1] (Most possible is that spatha is the Romanization of the Doric Greek *sp??a spatha) The word remains today as Greek sp??? (spathe), fem. and spa?? (spathi), neut.; The Latin word became French épée, Portuguese and Spanish espada, Italian spada, and Albanian shpata all meaning "sword".”

Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus, who wrote The Military Institutions of the Romans (De Re Militari) during the Late Empire in 400 A.D. + or - , stated that the Romans used the spatha in two sizes ….

“Their offensive weapons were large swords, called spathae, and smaller ones called semispathae.”

The Military Institutions of the Romans

http://www.digitalattic.org/home/war/vegetius/

From my limited research, spatha had blades running from around 27 inches in length, to over 30 inches. Apparently, the blade length of a semi-spatha would be shorter than the spatha, but longer than the gladius. From this, I believe that the Kris Cutlery Roman Spatha could be termed a semi-spatha due to it’s 24+ inch blade length.

STATISTICS + or -

Length in scabbard …. 33 inches
Sword length …. 31 7/8 inches
Blade length …. 24 3/16 inches
Blade width at guard …. 2 1/16 inches
Blade width 12 inches from guard …. 1 5/8 inches
Blade width 1.5 inches from point …. 1 1/8 inches
Blade thickness …. KoA states – .28 in. - .17 in. ( 7.2 mm – 4.3 mm )
Hilt length …. 7 7/8 inches
Grip length …. 3 7/8 inches
POB …. 6 3/16 inches
Weight of Spatha …. 1 lb. 10 oz.
Weight of Spatha and Scabbard …. 2 lb. 9 oz.

BLADE

The double edged blade comes very sharp, and appears to my eyes to be a flattened diamond in cross section. It has a nice, even finish. The grind work is well done, with a straight central ridge running down the center of both sides of the blade from the hilt plate to the point. It exhibits good distal and profile tapers. According to Kris Cutlery, the blade is made of 5160 steel.

When I first took the sword in hand, I immediately noticed that the sword has a great blade presence due to the 6 inch+ POB. When held with grip in hand, the sword feels heavier than it’s 1 lb. 10 oz. weight would suggest. I believe that this sword is definitely one that prefers the use of the cut, though the point is quite capable for the thrust.

HILT

The hilt is made of three pieces of smooth wood, light in color. There is a brass plate at the blade end, and a brass washer at the end of the pommel where the tang is peened.

The grip is round in cross section, and has finger ridges in the style of gladius swords.

The pommel is “triangular” in shape and has a smooth surface, with a raised center line on both of the blade sides.

The guard is unusual in shape, but caused me no problems as far as obtaining a comfortable grip, and it was easy to index the blade edge. The guard has a brass plate at the blade, that follows the unique contours of the guard.

The grip to me is a little too long. While I have fairly large hands, I like the grip to be a little shorter – 3 ½ inches – to obtain a nice, tight hammer grip.

Image Image

The hilt on the Kris Cutlery Roman Spatha is very similar to a 4th century A.D. spatha hilt, that I believe – though not completely sure – is from what is called the Koln spatha, and was found in a grave in Koln, Germany.

Original 4th century A.D. spatha hilt

SCABBARD

The scabbard is made of a wood that is a little darker in color than that of the hilt. It is smooth, and is nicely constructed and finished.

There is a steel “bridge” that is used to attach the scabbard to a baldric or waist belt. The bridge is tightly held to the scabbard by what appears to me to be nylon-type threads. It seems to be strong.

The scabbard does not have a liner, and the sword exhibits some movement while in the scabbard. It does NOT hold the sword tightly like some other scabbards, and the sword WILL fall out if gravity gives it the opportunity.

All-in-all, I am happy with the Kris Cutlery Roman Spatha. It is a well made, quality, battle-ready sword, and a good example of a semi-spatha.

I might consider staining the hilt and scabbard with a darker stain.

The lack of good retention ability of the scabbard is disappointing but, for me, no real problem.

If the round grip were to cause difficulty in indexing the blade, I believe that the grip is large enough in diameter to allow it to be modified with a file into a hexagonal configuration.

I think that the all wood scabbard makes it a great candidate for some artwork in the “Cedarlore Forge” style.

http://cedarloreforge.com/customswords/
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: Kris Cutlery Roman Spatha

Post by Straelbora »

When you do get yours, do you plan on modifying it in any way? I'm particularly wondering about decoration to the scabbard or hilt, since they are wood and thus more easily changed.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Alvin
Wanderer

Post by Alvin »

Straelbora wrote:When you do get yours, do you plan on modifying it in any way? I'm particularly wondering about decoration to the scabbard or hilt, since they are wood and thus more easily changed.
With all that wood to work with, I can see a lot of possibilities for someone with the skills. I admire the work that Cedarlore Forge has done with their wood scabbards.

I would also consider modifying in some way the scabbard mouth to better retain the sword - again if I had the skill/ability.

If I make any changes, it most likely will be to stain the hilt and scabbard in a dark color.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Would be happy to help if you wanted to do something akin to the Cedarlor style it is not difficult. This was done with the most basic of tools and a woodburner and dremel can make the work even easier.

WIP-the runnel in the haft is getting an insert.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: