potomac leather tabards and vest lots a picts

This section is for reviews of stuff that is commonly available, or from a vendor that has more to get. New sword from Albion, or Windlass? Great. Leather work or cloak from a vendor or another board member who has hung out her shingle? Excellent. Discussion of the finer points of the arrows you just made. Not so much. Put that it in the Weapons & Armor Section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

grimwulf
Dúnadan

potomac leather tabards and vest lots a picts

Post by grimwulf »

greeting all, i have seen here some talk of potomac leather and thought id chime in on them.
let me start out with saying that about 95% of all my leather comes from them, they have been at my local renaissance faire here in NY sense i can can recall (long time) the owner and craftsman Bill is a great guy and will make all kinds of custom work. i love the leather they use, be it deer, cow and elk, it has an organic natural feel unlike other leather goods iv bought over the years.
i know there website is a little outdated with no shopping cart and not even all of there products on the site so you have to either email them or go to a faire they visit.
in time ill do there pouches and belts but for now ranger tabards and what is left after i modified a chieftain vest.
first up is the chieftain vest it came with the collar and shoulder caps , but like most things i own i modify it to my tastes lol it is made from dark brown deer skin , the tie closers i took off one of my ranger jerkins( farther down) it comes with flat braided ties for closures but i just like the round better.

next up is a deer leather ranger tabard in medium brown i removed the ties and placed them on the above vest. now with this they had to part and seam it in the middle as the hides were not long enough to make it all one long piece.side seams are grommets and laced. i like this piece but i prefer my suede one.

ImageImage
i added the small shoulder caps .

dark brown suede ranger tabard. this one has become my favorite. it has smooth leather trim up the front to match the ties and the side laces.

these are al very comfortable and great quality leather, very much worth the money i paid, even with my modifying of some.
over the years i have owned and sold a few others of there garments including the knights tunic and scottish fighting jacket, both are great products and if hadn't needed the money would still have them.
if anyone wants any more details of picts just let me know
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Re: potomac leather tabards and vest lots a picts

Post by Rifter »

Nice. I've been in touch with him about replicating Strider's coat from LOTR. Nice to see some other works out there. He is indeed a nice guy to deal with and always explains things well.
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
grimwulf
Dúnadan

Post by grimwulf »

ya there duster coat is beautiful , some day ill be getting one of those.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Great review, customs, and pics, Grimwulf! I have a couple of their items myself, a nice waistcoat and some pouches. Here is a link for Strider's longcoat, I have seen it in person (pics around here somewhere) nice but out of my price range!

http://www.potomacleather.com/PL_Ranger.htm

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
grimwulf
Dúnadan

Post by grimwulf »

ya they are super expensive , i wish i could afford one but some day lol.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Indeed. It will be my last item I need to get to complete the strider kit. He's working on ideas for the patch on the right arm
grimwulf
Dúnadan

Post by grimwulf »

over the summer i herd Bill at potomac talking about the patch on the sleeve, he also told me they will be having a game of thrones style Stark cloak but I'm sure that will also cost a small fortune but will look incredible
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Probably but worth it. That suede jerkin looks great too
grimwulf
Dúnadan

Post by grimwulf »

thank you, the suede one is still rather new, getting it just this past summer, i think it will look even better after a season being worn out in the wilds to distress it a bit.
Laothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Laothain »

A long time a go I bought there battle bota and I love it every year I go to the Minnesota Renaissance Festival I have it at my side it works great and the liner makes it really nice
grimwulf
Dúnadan

Post by grimwulf »

i have one of those too, i love it, i take it out ranging in my woods as well as faire and any other place i may be outside and not want to carry a bottle of water lol.