Museum Replicas Woolen Viking Tunic

This section is for reviews of stuff that is commonly available, or from a vendor that has more to get. New sword from Albion, or Windlass? Great. Leather work or cloak from a vendor or another board member who has hung out her shingle? Excellent. Discussion of the finer points of the arrows you just made. Not so much. Put that it in the Weapons & Armor Section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Museum Replicas Woolen Viking Tunic

Post by Mirimaran »

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I took advantage of Museum Replica's Deal of the Day and got their woolen Viking Tunic for 55.00. As it retails in their catalog for 99.00 USD, I feel that I got a great bargin. My long suffering wife took some pics of me in the tunic that I will share and give my review of this garment.

I ordered the 2xl and I feel that at 5'8, 235, big of head, that it fit true to size. I feel that I had a good range of motion in the tunic, which despite our warm Carolina Sunday was very comfortable to wear. As far as I can tell, it seems to be 100% wool. It does have that lanolin oily type smell (Morielda says it smells like gun oil lol) The neck hole is wide and fits comfortably. It comes in two colors, gray and brown. I went with the gray.

A good range of motion.

Comfortable and moves well.

If there is any negative comment I can make, it is the trim. I think they were trying to recreate a silk trim, but it looks very bad to me, and begs to be replaced. The trim goes in two bands on the arms, at the neck line, and around the hem of the tunic at about 1 and 1/2 inches.

Regardless, I find the garment to be very nice for the price and I think it would fit into many ME personas, with a little DIY embellishment.

Thanks for reading, and I welcome any questions and comments!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Museum Replicas Woolen Viking Tunic

Post by Peter Remling »

Looks good, especially for the price !
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Cool shirt; nice review, Ken! Thrilled to see you geared up again! How much trouble would it be to ask to see how you look in it with some more ranger gear? *wink*
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Greg wrote:Cool shirt; nice review, Ken! Thrilled to see you geared up again! How much trouble would it be to ask to see how you look in it with some more ranger gear? *wink*
Let's let it cool down a little lol, but yes, getting back into things! I did take a couple of pics for the LOTR chapters as well. A little at a time :)

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

May I ask if it's itchy?
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

I bought one when it was on sale and ended up having a guy who is a taylor and also produces historical costume replace the trim with some green wool from an old army blanket. That trim is wretched.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Kortoso wrote:May I ask if it's itchy?
Actually, not particularly. I thought it was quite comfortable, despite the warm day.

Ken
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Excellent! Thanks!
Yes, the trim is wrong and it ain't right neither.
If you can find some tablet woven trim, then of course Bob's your uncle. ;) Check out Etsy.
(Now I have to think about picking up one of those)
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.