What actual artifacts do we have from the Third age?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

What actual artifacts do we have from the Third age?

Post by caedmon »

Most of Tolkien's sketches are stylized and meant to evoke an idea or feeling rather than be a faithful depiction of what things actually looked like.

What illustrations from Tolkien, or one of his authorized illustrators, can we assume looked like what he describes in the books? I think that at least Thror's map; and the shape of fonts are in this category.

In addition to this I would place the painted page from the Book of Marazbul, the Numenorean carpet and his heraldry of the great houses.

Is there anything else? Maybe the drawing of the bag end front-room? Anything else?
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Udwin
Vendor

Re: What actual artifacts do we have from the Third age?

Post by Udwin »

A few I've collected:

Don't have a pic of it, but the King's Letter to Sam (written in silver ink on black silk?)--it's in one of the HoME books...

I picked up a copy of Bilbo's Last Song at the library a few months back...illustrated wonderfully by Pauline Baynes. I believe it was originally released within a year of Tolkien's death; I would very much like to know if he had any input or say-so on her depictions of things.
Attachments
Numenorean 'karma' helmet ("made of overlapping enamelled plates of metal, the "fish crest" of leather embossed and colored'")
Numenorean 'karma' helmet ("made of overlapping enamelled plates of metal, the "fish crest" of leather embossed and colored'")
Karma UT.jpg (29.7 KiB) Viewed 7168 times
the emblem of the 'Mordor Special Mission Flying Corps' (supposedly resembling a fell beast-mounted Nazgul from below)
the emblem of the 'Mordor Special Mission Flying Corps' (supposedly resembling a fell beast-mounted Nazgul from below)
MSMFC.jpg (99.04 KiB) Viewed 7168 times
the Throne of Gondor (from his RotK cover draft...I always thought it looked like a plate rack with wings)
the Throne of Gondor (from his RotK cover draft...I always thought it looked like a plate rack with wings)
RotK draft Gondor throne.jpg (91.42 KiB) Viewed 7168 times
Doors of Durin (containing both Feanor's star and a dwarvish crown)
Doors of Durin (containing both Feanor's star and a dwarvish crown)
Doors of Durin35.jpg (68.12 KiB) Viewed 7168 times
The numenorean-derived crown of Gondor
The numenorean-derived crown of Gondor
numenor gondor crown Letter211.jpg (10.75 KiB) Viewed 7168 times
Thorin's letter to Bilbo
Thorin's letter to Bilbo
Thorin_letterp2.jpg (66.12 KiB) Viewed 7168 times
(stylized, but certainly not PJ's flaming-lizard eye)
(stylized, but certainly not PJ's flaming-lizard eye)
Eye of Sauron.jpg (3.63 KiB) Viewed 7168 times
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Udwin, as always you are a treasure, and a font of knowledge.

I think I'm good with most of these, except the throne. I fear that if we accept that throne as a faithful depiction, we have to also accept his rendition of the white tree which is in the same painting. ( And I much prefer the ones that have become standard. )

-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

To be honest, I'm not that fond of most of the Professor's drawings from human cultures, though the floral motifs have grown on me.
That said, Turner Mohan's early Numenorean sketches really do a great job of salvaging awesome from what could be (to a modern eye) a potentially goofy direction.

Tolkien's drawings are a good reminder to bring a bit more Minoan/Egyptian into the mix of old Numenoreans though.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.