Off again

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Off again

Post by Andy M »

Hey All,

Well, I've been extremely busy since reporting for work. I now run the Combat Tracking Team for 10th group which includes dogs and visual trackers (humans). I won't get to become a dog handler since that would occupy too much time, not allowing me to do my team sergeant functions. I do get to put on a bite suit and get beat up by dogs! The good thing is I will get several tracking schools and plenty of practice. That is the one Ranger skill I'm seriously lacking.

I'm heading off again to Iraq late next week and will be over there until late January. I've been told by some of my guys already over there that I'll have plenty of time on my hands. I have already sent forward my personal gear which includes all my Tolkien material. I plan on doing a lot of research and writing and most importantly re-vamping meranger.com. After having been away from it for a while when I look at it I don't like the way it is now. Accurate "Historical recreation" was my intent. Being able to inform others about Tolkien's Rangers and his world, how I do things as a Ranger, and to help others to get there, is what I need to get back to.

I also sent plenty of fabric and one of each item of clothing I've made to use as patterns. That included draw string pants, tunic, hood & cowl, and a few versions of Wizard's pouches (haversack). I would love to make some stuff for Rangers while I'm there.

Andy
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

Andy,
you are my HERO. Not only do you espouse the essence of the Dunedain culture and purpose, but you live it in the modern world.
Selfless service
Often overlooked
Thanked very little
Protecting the uncaring and unaware
Placing yourself in peril

Take care of yourself and your men. Go cause some trouble for our enemies and win the fight.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

With all that downtime, I’ve heard a lot of troops are training MMA. You should take some WMA sword materials and some wasters
Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

Thank you for your words Beornmann, really.

I've got my bow, quiver, and arrow making supplies packeged so that my wife can send them if I want.

I might order a buckler if Paul sends me a sword suited for I.33.

I'll send pics from down range.

Andy
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Keep us posted and stay safe!
Jim E
Wayfarer

Post by Jim E »

I can't wait for that re-vamp, I've gone through your site dozens of times and I'm sure you'll make it even better!
I hope all goes well and you return safe.

I'd like to make a small statement though. I realise you (not just Andy) come from a nation whose interests and goals you are of course expected to stand up for. But we do not all come from that nation. I would very much appreciate it if all talk of such matters was transfered on another forum and especially if Tolkien's works were left out of such modern affairs. I hope you understand the words of those who think different than you and realise that this is not a matter of attack or anything like that but rather a try to avoid endless Tolkien-irrevelant talks on such a clearly focused forum.
Again that doesn't reduce my great respect for Andy and his work (Tolkien relevant or non). Or any of you on that matter.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Well, I appreciate that Andy has told us where he will be, and if we are to stay specific on Tolkein matters, then we shall have to delete his entire post (which I will not do). No matter what military one belongs to, I feel that Tolkein's words have relevance to them. Certainly no offense intended to you Jim. I respect you and appreciate your input on this forum. So I hope you do not take this as a personal attack. This makes me realize that we don't have a sort of "Inn" where we can discuss such matters! Hmmm. Think I'll be making a suggestion to our illustrious admin :D .
That being said, Andy, the Cartrette family will hold you up in our prayers until your safe return. Sorry I didn't catch this earlier, I would have liked to known it before you left. As for the boots, I still haven't revived that project. I'm still getting settled into the new house. By the time you get home, I'll be set up and ready to work. I'll be expecting that phone call then.
Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

Hey Jim,

thanks for the kind words.

Having re-read my post several times, I am sure that I was not pushing U.S. policy or beliefs on anyone. The post was to inform all that I would be in a different environment for a while and my focus would be shifting.
I have not and will not bring up political discussions on this forum but I will not leave out what I do. If anyone else reads my post as a platform to bring out national interests and goals, please let me know.
Read my bio page on my site. My profession is directly tied into my Middle Earth Ranger work. We have to use modern means for the most part to train on the skills of a Ranger.

As far as Beornmann's response, it was appreciated and appropriate.

If Jack as the Forum administrator wants to put international restrictions of some sort on the site, he can do that but I will not hide that fact that I am an American doing what I do.
Once I have meranger re-vamped I will bring back the message board.

Again Jim, I know your post is not an attack but realize that the vast majority of these forum members are American and our culture is what it is. We do not hide patriotism.

Andy