For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Gareth
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Their costumes are LEGIT, but that's really all that they appear to be: costumes.

They've got a fantastic knack for recreating the rangers in Ithilien from Peter Jackson's movies, whose overall appearance in gear I have a personal love for (and have mimicked, to some extent, with such things as face my covering, and with the custom design of my new quiver I'm working on), but there doesn't seem to be much beyond the weaponry there. We are rangers of a different sort, in my opinion. They are Role Players, we are re-enactors. While they might look professionally done, our gear is practical, life-sustaining for days or weeks at a time, and is weathered BECAUSE of what we put it through, rather than made to look so, or not weathered at all for that matter, appearing bright shiny, and off-the shelf.

Don't get me wrong; I'm beyond jealous of their access to such awesome looking gear, but I doubt if there's much utility to what they carry beyond the swords and bows. I'm not seeing much in the way of cooking supplies, etc. I'd love to walk around in gear with them sometime and enjoy some good company, but I have a feeling they'd change in their cars and drive to the local Pub long before they ever rolled out the ground mat and whipped up a stew.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Some of em are REAL young. I feel old now. I'd like to trek around the woods with em, although I have to agree that they just appear to be LARP'ers, all show and little go. Could be wrong though. If you go through the gallery you'll find some camping pictures, but it appears to be an SCA/Pennsic sort of gathering. they look great and really do invoke the look of the ithilien rangers.
Winter is coming
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

I'm not even that old and their set-ups make me feel old and under-equiped, so to speak;)

BUT, looks cool, and some of the close ups make me think they actually make this stuff functional. Anyways, I want a cool outfit.... my gear is uber simple right now...
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

It would appear that some of their kits might be costume, but I also saw some wedge tents, camping gear, archery, and woodswork. Not sure if these were staged shots, but only one way to know...I asked. Hope to hear back from them. They look like a good bunch.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Oh, no doubt their swords, bows, and armor are functional. But did they carry their wedge tents and the like to their base camp in a rangerlike fashion, or did they haul it all fifty feet from the cars?

I'm sure their kit is completely functional, don't get me wrong...I just think their kit is lacking. I think the biggest difference between what they're wearing and what we sport is that they're armored up in leather and are sporting side-split surcoats as per the movies. They are generously layered with movie replication in mind, while most of us tend to wear as little as is necessary for the current weather conditions for the sake of mobility with book authenticity in mind based on our own imaginations.
Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

Hey All,

They seem to be more like re-enactors than anything else. There are quite a few groups that basically get together and make the circuit of Medieval fests and events. When the Germans decide to get into something, they really get into it. They have entire stores full of larp gear and that's what some of their gear is. The bows look real but a couple of the swords are Larp. Some of the camp shots are from the lagers sites at a fest. You can set up a spot there as long as it's period. Some of the lager sites have a pretty good nite life. Germans will always have beer.
I think they're out of Dusseldorf which is up north but most of those pics are not from up north.
There was a dude that contacted me last year about a Ranger group he was in but he kept going on and on about stuff from the movies. My wife is checking to see if this is that group.

They do look good but you guys have nothing to be jealous about. I don't think their outfits would fair too well in the wild.

Andy
Greg

Post by Greg »

Agreed. The only thing that would hold up durability-wise are their leather articles, in the event that they were glued and stitched well. But hey, you can't blame a ranger for attempts at being stylish, can you? ;)

Side note: The recent updates to MERanger.com are awesome, Andy!
mooncalf

Post by mooncalf »

Hello, my name is Móka from Dúnedain-Germany.

Beornmann sent us a mail, so I contacted you.

First I’ve to apologize myself, my english is bad but I’ll try to answer your questions as good as I can.

Yes, our group mainly shows the Ithilien-Ranger (= southern Dúnedain) from PJ’s triology (not all of us, we’ve although got two rangers from the north :) ).

Yes, we’re wearing filmcostumes so it’s not even funcional. In places it’s complicated. :roll:
Remeber, this costume is supposed to be an elite fighter. :wink:

Yes, we do some swordfighting, archery and survival training.
I guess, we’re not so good in these things like you guys, but we’re working on it.

And many thanks for your compliments. Our costumes and some stuff were made by ourselves. :)

Greetings, Móka
Greg

Post by Greg »

Made by yourselves?

You guys are fantastic! Good job, and welcome to the ranger forums!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Mooncalf, your English is much better than my German, despite the two years of German that I took in High School and the three years that I served in Germany in the US Army. :(

Welcome to the forum. Not all of us are very experienced in the ways of the ranger. So please make yourself at home. Feel free to share what you guys in beautiful Deutschland are doing and ask any questions that you need to ask.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Athárien

Post by Athárien »

Hiya!

I'm "one of them", too (of the German Ithilien Rangers, that is) and just wanted to say "HI" and warn you... that there'll be loads of comments, silly remarks and "opinions" to share (like it or not). *g*

Anyway... I really look forward to "being here" and... TALK TO YOU SOON!

Cheers,
Athárien
It is not our abilities that make us what we are. It is our choices.