St. Hubert's Rangers

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: St. Hubert's Rangers

Post by Ringulf »

Man I was scouting some hunting spots down in Merrit Island and we were on the johnboat with a mudbuddy engine, so on our way through some twisted mangroves I am standing on the bow and my buddy is on the engine in the stern and we got into this alley that was filled with gigantic spiders on there webs stretched across the little canal. I ducked the first one only to have it plaster itself right on my friends face! He freaked and gunned it and we plowed into what was almost like a nest of them must have been almost a hundred of them.
They were big black and yellow monsters that were bigger than the circle of my open hand with their legs out, every one of them in the center of their web.

We were both freaked at that point and thank God these things were not into biting us because we had them all over us and they were trying to crawl off as much as we were trying to pick them off!
Took every ounce of control I had not to start swatting them as they crawled all over me. My Friend was almost as white as Frodo after Shelob's sting and just about as parylised, but it was with fear (he hates bugs) and spiders are close enough.

We finally got the boat turned around after a while and got to a clear area, and eventually picked all of the webbing off us.

Some nasty business right there, like I said I am glad "stupid hunter" was not on their menu! :wink:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

o.0

I would be terrified. Sounds almost as bad as Mirkwood.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Ringulf, buddy, you just made my night! That's the funniest story I've heard in a long time!
Aaron
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Aaron »

Ringulf wrote:Man I was scouting some hunting spots down in Merrit Island and we were on the johnboat with a mudbuddy engine, so on our way through some twisted mangroves I am standing on the bow and my buddy is on the engine in the stern and we got into this alley that was filled with gigantic spiders on there webs stretched across the little canal. I ducked the first one only to have it plaster itself right on my friends face! He freaked and gunned it and we plowed into what was almost like a nest of them must have been almost a hundred of them.
They were big black and yellow monsters that were bigger than the circle of my open hand with their legs out, every one of them in the center of their web.

We were both freaked at that point and thank God these things were not into biting us because we had them all over us and they were trying to crawl off as much as we were trying to pick them off!
Took every ounce of control I had not to start swatting them as they crawled all over me. My Friend was almost as white as Frodo after Shelob's sting and just about as parylised, but it was with fear (he hates bugs) and spiders are close enough.

We finally got the boat turned around after a while and got to a clear area, and eventually picked all of the webbing off us.

Some nasty business right there, like I said I am glad "stupid hunter" was not on their menu! :wink:
Yeah, those golden orb weavers are pretty terrifying. Walked up on more than a few of them on my property and at the local state preserve (Hal Scott Preserve). Luckily they're not venomous, just humongous and scary as all get out.

The biggest thing I hate about Florida is the palmettos. I won't go stomping through them because you can't keep an eye out for venomous snakes or spiders, they're just too dense. Sadly they cover so much land, they spread like a weed....
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Ah, but those palmettos are edible! I used to pull the young fronds to get a tiny bite at the end when I was a lad, lo, these many eons ago. The Wild Edibles website http://www.stonepylon.com/garden/wildedib.htm says:

"Saw Palmetto (Palmetto Palm, Sabal Palmetto, Serenoa repens) -- Fruits are edible raw and seeds can be ground into flour. The heart is a nutritious food source, harvesting it involves cutting off the top of the plant, thus killing it. Standardized extracts are sold in health food stores for benefitting the prostate gland."

But yes, I've always heard they were snaky, so caution is advisable.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Damn Yule Gibbens has got nothing on our Kealin!
I am up for most anything edible, but I see palmetto as just one more of the things in Florida trying to kill you!
Rihgt along with those Spanish bayonetts I keep running into and the fire ants that all crawl up your leg at one time but don't bite till the leader gives the pheramone signal and they all bite at once... :x nasty little bastards!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Einar_Hrafnsson

Post by Einar_Hrafnsson »

So, now the websites are down.

Any ideas what happened?
Gondian

Post by Gondian »

Einar_Hrafnsson wrote:So, now the websites are down.

Any ideas what happened?
Saw your post about an hour ago and went to investigate, sure enough I got no google hits, and became totally bummed out!!! I still haven't gotten my kit to the point where I could have joined and it looked as if the chance had passed me by. But wait all you who aspire to be a St Herbert's Ranger, there is still hope! I was on face book and 'low and behold' I was going through my news feed, wall, whatever its called now, and there it was, a post by a buddy of mine and our own Eledwen! So St Herbert's Rangers is at least on Face book and I still have a chance to Join :mrgreen: ! I think Orome was behind this, I mean the timing was eerily sychronistic, AND it's St. Herbert's Day TODAY!
LOVE NOT THE BRIGHT SWORD FOR IT'S SHARPNESS OR THE ARROW FOR IT'S SWIFTNESS, BUT RATHER LOVE THAT WHICH THEY DEFEND
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

St. Huberts' Rangers have moved to Facebook. There is a single directional page outside of that, which may be expanded later. There are two pages on FB...a public one anyone can join, and the members only page.

We have 71 Rangers now, world wide. :)

Eledhwen (aka Lady Galiana deBeaumarchais)
Nandalad!
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Very nice and innovative group. I think I'm more suited to this style of Rangering though :)
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Just a note, I just joined St. Hubert's. Nice group of folks.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Congrats!

It's on my to-do list...but I don't think my current footwear's going to make the cut.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Gondian

Post by Gondian »

Hey Caedmon, saw your joining of the ranks over on the face book page, congratulations! I got to meet Paul Wilber The founder of St Herbert's Rangers at the Mich Ren Fest Longbow competition this year, he and another ranger Scott Spears both competed.
LOVE NOT THE BRIGHT SWORD FOR IT'S SHARPNESS OR THE ARROW FOR IT'S SWIFTNESS, BUT RATHER LOVE THAT WHICH THEY DEFEND