Pray for Colorado

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Pray for Colorado

Post by Manveruon »

Hey folks, I don't know if you've heard much about it around the US, but at the moment Colorado is experiencing something of a disaster the likes of which we haven't seen in a very, very long time. As of yesterday I believe they said we have 11 or 12 wildfires raging in different parts of our state, and at least two of them appear to be completely out of control. One of them is currently seriously threatening countless people and properties in Colorado Springs and the surrounding areas, including the Colorado Renaissance Festival. Right now it feels like the whole bloody state is burning down around us.

I am lucky to be living in the Denver metro area, which is thankfully spared for the moment from any fires, but I know many people who are not so lucky. The extreme heat, high winds, and total lack of any moisture has made a tinderbox of our beautiful state, and it seems like pretty soon there won't be much of it left - especially for a ranger.

So please pray for Colorado, and all its beautiful mountain wilderness. Though many may not realize, fire is an important part of life and the evolution of the mountain ecosystem, but with so many people living in wooded, mountainous areas, the natural order of things has been badly displaced. We are paying the price for it now, and I just hope everyone out there can send some positive thoughts and prayers our way. Pray for rain, pray for low winds, and pray for the firefighters who are doing their best to keep this beast at bay.

Thanks all!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Pray for Colorado

Post by Ringulf »

I used to live in Aroura I know some of the areas you are talking about I will certainly keep it in my prayers Florida is not much different right now.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Sounds like there have been a lot of disasters around the US this summer. Hope you guys are holding up okay down in the Sunshine State!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Wow, 11 or 12... that's terrible. Here in CA we have fires like that every once in a while, and I've had friends whose homes burned or almost burned, so I can relate. But never as many as a dozen all happening at once. I will certainly be praying.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Dinendir.
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Dinendir. »

Wow, that's terrible. I hadn't realized they were that bad. I'll be keeping them in my thoughts and prayers.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum."
He who seeks peace, prepares for war.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, my grandmother lives just east of San Diego and has been evacuated a few times because of fires in that area. We've historically been fairly lucky in Colorado, in that we haven't had nearly as many devastating fires or other natural disasters as some other areas of the country. We've certainly had a few bad ones here and there, but this is already the worst wildfire season in memory, and it's only just beginning.
robinhoodsghost

Post by robinhoodsghost »

I'll keep them in my prayers. Kentucky is in a drought as well with temps in the triple digits tomorrow....unheard of around here.
Won't be shooting of fireworks on the 4th....to risky.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Hundreds of homes have already been destroyed in Co and this was when the fires were still in more rural areas. Now as they approach urban centers that number may go up dramatically.

Hopes and Prayers to all involved in this and the other disasters.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

This was the first I'd heard of it. Hey Manveruon, stay safe.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Thankfully I am far away from the danger zone, but many of my friends and acquaintances from the renaissance festival are not. I appreciate all the thoughts and prayers.
Neume
Wayfarer

Post by Neume »

How terrifying. I have seen some horrible pictures on the news of homes going up, people evacuating and animals running loose trying to get away. You all will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted.
"The women of this country learned long ago, those without swords can still die upon them. I fear neither death nor pain. "
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

I too will be praying for the whole state of Colorado and all of the Ranger's in it! :)
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I appreciate all the thoughts and prayers. Looks like most of the fires are on their way to being under control now - although some are far from over. Still, it appears things are starting to finally be on the mend.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Well, it looks like we need your prayers again, but for an even more atrocious reason this time. Luckily I am safe and was far from the danger of last night, but I was at a screening of the Dark Knight Rises, and the whole thing has hit very, very close to home. I keep thinking about how this world needs more heroes, and yet I really doubt even that could have stopped the tragedy this time. Anyway, like I said, I'm personally safe and unharmed, and I don't personally know anyone who was affected, for which I am very thankful. My heartfelt thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families.
Dinendir.

Post by Dinendir. »

I'll agree. It was a tragedy. I'm praying for the ones who are affected by this. It is absolutely terrible.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum."
He who seeks peace, prepares for war.