Re: Forum-Wide Lord of the Rings "Picture Book" Project

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, Book I, Chapter 1: A Long-Expected Party
"Before long the invitations began pouring out, and the Hobbiton post-office was blocked, and the Bywater post-office was snowed under, and voluntary assistant postmen were called for. There was a constant stream of them going up the Hill, carrying hundreds of polite variations on Thank you, I shall certainly come."

Cheers! On to Chapter two!

-Greg
Last edited by Greg on Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Chapter Two- The Shadow of the Past
onering.jpg
onering.jpg (324.13 KiB) Viewed 12328 times
As Frodo did so, he now saw fine lines, finer than the finest pen-strokes, running along the ring,
outside and inside: lines of fire that seemed to form the letters of a flowing script. They shone
piercingly bright, and yet remote, as if out of a great depth.
'I cannot read the fiery letters,' said Frodo in a quavering voice.
'No,' said Gandalf, 'but I can. The letters are Elvish, of an ancient mode, but the language is that
of Mordor, which I will not utter here. But this in the Common Tongue is what is said, close
enough:
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
"
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Greg

Post by Greg »

"'I can hear a pony or a horse coming along the road behind,' said Sam. They looked back, but the turn of the road prevented them from seeing far. 'I wonder if that is Gandalf coming after us,' said Frodo; but even as he said it, he had a feeling that it was not so, and a sudden desire to hide from the view of the rider came over him.

'It may not matter much,' he said apologetically, 'but I would rather not be seen on the road - by anyone. I am sick of my doings being noticed and discussed. And if it is Gandalf,' he added as an afterthought, 'we can give him a little surprise, to pay him out for being so late. Let's get out of sight!'"
-Frodo, Sam, and Pippin, on the Road to the Woody End en Route to Crickhollow. The Lord of the Rings, Part One: The Fellowship of the Ring, Book One, Chapter Three: Three is Company

I was disappointed that I don't have any tall grass nearby to do a more book-accurate depiction of this...but hey, there's always next time.
Last edited by Greg on Tue May 27, 2014 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Sorry for the delay Everyone, the next one I do will be more timely, Pete

'Now then!' said the farmer, throwing the reins to Sam and striding forward. 'Don't you come a step nearer! What do you want and where are you going?'

'I want Mr. Baggins. Have you seen him?' said a muffled voice...but the voice was the voice of Merry Brandybuck.
Attachments
004.JPG
004.JPG (135.69 KiB) Viewed 12207 times
Greg

Post by Greg »

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring; Book I, Chapter V: A Conspiracy Unmasked

"They pushed back the table and drew their chairs around the fire. ... 'Well!' said Frodo at last, sitting up and straightening his back, as if he had made a decision. 'I can't keep it dark any longer. I have got something to tell you all. But I don't quite know how to begin.' "

Greg

Post by Greg »

Posting on behalf of Stormraven:

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring; Book I, Chapter VI: The Old Forest

"Then another clear voice, as young and ancient as Spring, like the song of a glad water flowing down into the night from a bright morning in the hills, came falling like silver to meet them:
"Now let the song begin! Let us sing together
Of sun, stars, moon and mist, rain and cloudy weather,
Light on the budding leaf, dew on the feather,
Wind on the open hill, bells on the heather,
Reeds by the shady pool, lilies on the water:
Old Tom Bombadil and the River-daughter!"
And with that song the Hobbits stood upon the threshold, and a golden light was about them."

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

The Lord of the Rings, Book1 chapter 7 "In the House of Tom Bombadil"

"And let us have food and drink!" cried Tom. "Long tales are thirsty. And long listening's hungry work, morning, noon, and evening!"

https://i.imgur.com/0EI3YT6.jpg